STOLEN IN DFW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
About my only saving grace is that I have a backup vehicle available to me right now and don't necessarily have to go buy anything right now. Pretty handy given how hot the market is.

OP
OP
theycallmecoyote
Reaction score
Man I hate thieves!

Onstar? If you've forgotten, the app let's you see where your truck is, open, close the doors, remote start, set off the alarm, etc.
Hey just to follow up on that, I called OnStar to see if they might be able to help, no joy. I bought the ccar used last year and the module has been deactivated since Feb 2020. Rats. The girl was nice enough and very helpful. If any of you don't have OnStar active all you have to do (apparently) is press the little blue button on your mirror and they'll get you set up. Could have been very handy for me.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On-Star does also provide a insurance discount.. Still not worth it thou.

Their technology always baffled me. Why cant I set up an account via the web, or phone. Why do I have to be sitting in my truck. All the info they need is in their system, and searchable by VIN.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On-Star does also provide a insurance discount.. Still not worth it thou.

Their technology always baffled me. Why cant I set up an account via the web, or phone. Why do I have to be sitting in my truck. All the info they need is in their system, and searchable by VIN.
This way they know it's you and not some thief.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am deactivating the system, that makes sense. But activation?
Well, how do they know it's really you? Think about a GMC sitting on a dealer's lot. The VIN is known from the ads, someone could use that to activate the system with a stolen card and use their burner phone to open the truck up and voila, it's gone.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, how do they know it's really you? Think about a GMC sitting on a dealer's lot. The VIN is known from the ads, someone could use that to activate the system with a stolen card and use their burner phone to open the truck up and voila, it's gone.
That makes sense to a point, except I could do the same thing while on a test drive, or just sitting in the truck. But I digress.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not likely to have been joy riding kids. It might have been Will Smith or Gene Hackman being chased by the CIA or something, they always get cars in parking garages!

My brother's car was stolen in Houston earlier this year. The thieves used it for robberies and then abandoned it on the freeway when they got into a car accident with it. Well, regardless, I hope you get a sympathetic adjuster so you can go out and get another one without having to reach into your wallet.
( Insurance adjuster / claims adjuster )..... ASK TO TALK WITH THE CLAIMS MANAGER.
( Some adjusters are a bit lazy & have a stack of claim files on their desk)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts