Steering Tightness / Wind Drift on Highway Suburban 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DESSKI

Reaction score
I'd check all components of the steering wheel shaft to the gearbox. If it's got high mileage and or heavy wheels over stock my guess is it's the gearbox or the power steering is worn. I've had my suspension inspected and it's okay considering it's got 117k. I've experience what the OP is trying to described. I'm checking into prices for a rebuilt steering gearbox or better.

mgharden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Honestly i have also had this problem even after lowering it. Do urself a favor and check the torx set screw underneeth the plastic cover over the hazard light switch. I found mine to be loose even though the factory puts a dent on the side of the set screw so it wont back out.....well, it did back out causing the steering to feel wobbly. This mite not be ur problem but its worth a try. Its pretty easy. The set screw holds the steering wheel inplace with the steering colum/shaft. Hit me up if you cant find it.
I have a very similar if not the same problem with my 2008 Z71 Tahoe. One day I lay on the floorboard and attached a pair of vise grips to the steering column shaft where it connects to the steering column. I reached up to move the steering wheel and could notice about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of loose play before I could feel any movement with my hand on the vise grips. Sloppy steering is the most annoying problem to me driving anything on wheels and I will fix this problem very soon even if it requires a new steering column. I have checked everything else with the steering except the coupling that ties the rack and pinion to the steering shaft that is enclosed by a rubber boot. Thanks for the info.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I've been messing around with my front end for a while and trying to tighten up the overall steering. i have poly sway links with upgraded moog bushing, new upper and lower ball joints with new pitman, idler, idler bracket, centerlink..kyb stabilizer..the works. everything still didn't feel right. I just checked the torsion bar center link and what ya know its not torqued to spec. I torqued the 4 bolts to 70ft lbs and all of sudden my steering tightened up?? weird, but I had my wife drive it to make sure I wasn't making shit up, but it helped.

I don't have a problem with wind or big trucks, but hopefully this helps your problem..i'm going to go through and torque everything else when I have time and have the alignment checked again. don't trust the shop that did it last time and all my alignment marks are at the bottom which wasn't where they were after my last alignment from sears and the truck tracked straight even with worn parts..

This is the cross member I'm referring to..
0ab6febd777fcdc52c629788446ae8cf.jpg

Last edited:

tenntahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just sold my 2002 Z71 Tahoe and bought a 2004 Suburban 2500.

With the Tahoe I hated the loose feel of the steering. I replaced ball joints, idler and pittman, had Billsteins, ran the tire PSI to 44 psi (which was max, I found that keeping the tires harder helped) and had the EVO delete done. I also put a BDS steering stablizer on. After all that it seemed pretty good but still had issue with the wind blowing it and if you look away such as to adjust the radio or something you'd be out of the lane in a split second. I hate that.

So now I have a 2004 Suburban 2500. When I was shopping I was particularly looking for one well maintained with solid front end and tight steering feel. This one does however I guess it wasn't windy the day I test drove it and brought it home. A week later and the damn wind blows this thing around too. I noticed also if a big van or truck passes me fast that pushes me too.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I just put new 275/75/16 Good Year Duratrac M&S tires on (they look awesome) and I'm aired up to 70 PSI on all four (max is 80 psi). Everything in front end feels tight.

Have you found a fix for this? I have the same issue with my 2004 Tahoe. Feel like I'm driving on ice on windy days, and only slightly better on non-windy ones. I am up for replacing whatever needs to be replaced but would prefer to find out what actually addresses this issue. I have done end links, tire rods and shocks. Considering doing ball joints and bushings and maybe the steering gear box, but I was reading somewhere else about the power steering flow control valve and was wondering if this could be the issue. Sounds logical that if this valve was not operating correctly and allowing the pressure to remain too high at highway speeds that the steering would be too sensitive. I read that on some vehicles (not sure if it applies to these or not) that above 80 mph that the pressure cuts back to the same as idle. Ironically getting above 80 mph in my tahoe seems to make the steering feel different and the wandering feeling goes away. Anyone else replaced the flow control valve?

Woodse

Reaction score
I'm now working on a EVO valve issue with my power steering pump, any suggestions?

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm now working on a EVO valve issue with my power steering pump, any suggestions?
I'm curious as to what controls the variable steering..the play in my steering comes and goes when driving down the road. It goes from no play to about 2-3inches off center. It's got to be something electrical and I'm looking for a steering sensor since my power steering pump is new...if you find anything about the EVO valve post it up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mgharden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a very similar if not the same problem with my 2008 Z71 Tahoe. One day I lay on the floorboard and attached a pair of vise grips to the steering column shaft where it connects to the steering column. I reached up to move the steering wheel and could notice about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of loose play before I could feel any movement with my hand on the vise grips. Sloppy steering is the most annoying problem to me driving anything on wheels and I will fix this problem very soon even if it requires a new steering column. I have checked everything else with the steering except the coupling that ties the rack and pinion to the steering shaft that is enclosed by a rubber boot. Thanks for the info.
I finally got around to checking the torx set screws that are under the plastic cover around the hazard flasher switch and found that both of them were very loose. One of them required two full turns to tighten and the other one was 2 1/2 turns to tighten. This very simple procedure made a HUGE difference as my Tahoe now drives as good as new, tight and solid no slop what so ever and it cost nothing but 15 minutes of my time. I wonder how many dealers have taken advantage of customers by selling them various expensive replacement parts knowing that the torx set screws under this cover was the only problem. My Tahoe now drives as if there had been major work done to the steering. Very Very Happy Now! Thanks so much for the tip. :)

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly i have also had this problem even after lowering it. Do urself a favor and check the torx set screw underneeth the plastic cover over the hazard light switch. I found mine to be loose even though the factory puts a dent on the side of the set screw so it wont back out.....well, it did back out causing the steering to feel wobbly. This mite not be ur problem but its worth a try. Its pretty easy. The set screw holds the steering wheel inplace with the steering colum/shaft. Hit me up if you cant find it.

Hi there. I'm trying to find this particular torx screw and not having much luck. I can't see how to get the plastic cover over the hazard switch off. I did find a torx screw on the right side of the wheel that has yellow marking on it. Is this the correct one or is it something else? Many thanks.

Last edited:

deepend

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm trying to find this particular torx screw and not having much luck. I can't see how to get the plastic cover over the hazard switch off. I did find a torx screw on the right side of the wheel that has yellow marking on it. Is this the correct one or is it something else? Many thanks.
It is directly on the steering shaft underneath the plastic cover that covers the hazard light switch. Once you take the cover off there will be an opening on the coloum and you will be able to see the set screws (torx) on the shaft. Again its under that cover, if you go, say abt 10 inches down the shaft from the hazard switch you went to far. The factory taps the edge of the torx screw so that it doesnt get loose but the DO get loose some how. Good luck.

Joshuasvt

Reaction score
You have to turn the steering wheel to get to it. One is at the 3 o'clock position and the other is at the 9. Yes there is yellow lock tight on the bolts. I took a pic but it won't let me upload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo