steering rack issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am in need of immediate help and suggestions Please.

While replacing steering hoses because they were old and rusty, I came to realize that there is 2 seals in the rack and pinion where two of the hoses slide into.

One of the seals I was able to remove super easy. The other seal(the top) gave me a little hassle but it finally came loose. The issue here is that I was using a real cheap pic and a piece of the tip broke off and I believe it fell inside the rack. Maybe 1/8th or 1/4th in length. Its those real cheap pick set sold at harbor freights the pittsburgh brand( https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-...g6Js2G0-k7fy16oeO0Web2JZeE4Y69ERoCYzgQAvD_BwE )

How bad is this or can I get away with this?
I can't find the little piece that broke off no where so I am assuming its in the rack.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dangit!

@89Suburban beat me to it! Magnet was my first thought..

Or maybe leave the return line off and flush some fluid through there, hoping the pick fell into the return line port..

If nothing works, hope the pick tip actually flew out of there when it broke...

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try the magnet later today and see if that helps.

I have a feeling this piece of carbon steel is floating in the rack.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will try the magnet later today and see if that helps.

I have a feeling this piece of carbon steel is floating in the rack.
Another take: if you're replacing the hoses, the rack probably won't be far behind anyway. I had to replace the one in my '07 last year because the rod seals were leaking. I used a reman from RockAuto and it's been great.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i had no luck. I bought a magnet and put it inside the holes several times. It didnt catch anything. I looked every where and didnt find it either. So i put everything together, put fluid in her and started bleeding the system. Nothing out of the ordinary and the steering wheel is noise free and very smooth.

Does this mean im good?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i had no luck. I bought a magnet and put it inside the holes several times. It didnt catch anything. I looked every where and didnt find it either. So i put everything together, put fluid in her and started bleeding the system. Nothing out of the ordinary and the steering wheel is noise free and very smooth.

Does this mean im good?
Time will tell. If it fell to the bottom of the rack tube hopefully it doesn’t wind up causing a problem and finds a spot out of the way of the working mechanisms and seals.

I personally wouldn’t sweat it.

OP
OP
C

crownvic31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time will tell. If it fell to the bottom of the rack tube hopefully it doesn’t wind up causing a problem and finds a spot out of the way of the working mechanisms and seals.

I personally wouldn’t sweat it.

Thank you all. Not going to sweat it at this point. drove the escalade today to work and zero issues. Steering is extremely smooth

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. Not going to sweat it at this point. drove the escalade today to work and zero issues. Steering is extremely smooth
Reminds me of one of my mottos: If you can't fix it, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. :)

May it last with no issues for another 100K miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar