Steering column cover fasteners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I can get these. I bought an entire new column and turns out screws were missing. They were missing from my old column as well. Really annoying. I know I can go tear down a column at junkyard but just curious if they are anywhere online. I need for the bottom of the cover and the top part too.

A picture of what they look like would be nice as well, I might have them in my misc screws I rescue from junkyard. No clue what they look like, thread pitch or anything.

Video:

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the removal and installation procedure (below) from factory service manual.

I see there are 4 screws, two lower and two upper, to secure the column trim pieces. I found one of the lower screws, it is a torque bit screw. However, no clue about the other three. Perhaps they are course thread plastic screws?

Anybody replaced an ignition switch or been in the column before to know what these trim piece screws look like?

All the columns at the junkyard are already taken apart. The fasteners are laying everywhere. I don't know which ones to look for. I tried taking everything I could find but only the one I mentioned fits.

---- Snippets from factory service manual---

1. Install the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.

1. Install the screws (1) that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think maybe factory forgot to put them in... I see lots of tutorials on Youtube where they say the bolts are missing.

I ordered some and will let you know what they look like. Hopefully they fit...

Another thing, I took the screw out of my 2006 Buick and it fit the Tahoe, so my guess is GM uses the same screw on LOTS if not all it's columns.

The top screw goes through a hole by the key cylinder and into the plastic on the trim. So I used a course philips screw head like used on the dash cover by the vents. Worked perfectly. However, I only had one provision for a screw... It didn't match up to the factory service manual which is odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts