Steering column cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff53

Reaction score
I got a new boot to replace the torn one on my shifter. I was going to try to slide it over the shift knob, but before I did that, I noticed that the large part of the boot that fits into the steering wheel column cover seems to be made of hard plastic vice soft, so rather than try to force it into the column, I figured I'd remove the column cover. But, I can't figure out how to get it off. I checked online and some places say there are torx screws holding the bottom part on, some say panhead screws and some say it just snaps on. It's hard to see into the holes on the bottom of the column. Has anyone removed theirs and can you tell me how it's held on or were there multiple ways that GM installed them? Thanks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new boot to replace the torn one on my shifter. I was going to try to slide it over the shift knob, but before I did that, I noticed that the large part of the boot that fits into the steering wheel column cover seems to be made of hard plastic vice soft, so rather than try to force it into the column, I figured I'd remove the column cover. But, I can't figure out how to get it off. I checked online and some places say there are torx screws holding the bottom part on, some say panhead screws and some say it just snaps on. It's hard to see into the holes on the bottom of the column. Has anyone removed theirs and can you tell me how it's held on or were there multiple ways that GM installed them? Thanks.
There is def 2 screw's, as for the head I don't remember if they are philips or torx, just try both until one works if the philips does not work keep trying various size torx until one fits.
as for the boot good idea to do it by unbolting the arm. trying to put it on the fat side will just make it rip, you will have to disconnect the tow haul wire and it's typical for them to be weak where it is clipped on and break the wire, if that happens just patch it back together and if you end up with no tow haul function afterwards then the wire broke inside anyway and will need to be patched. the tow haul is just a bump switch for a ground to the bcm

OP
OP
Jeff53

Jeff53

Reaction score
There is def 2 screw's, as for the head I don't remember if they are philips or torx, just try both until one works if the philips does not work keep trying various size torx until one fits.
as for the boot good idea to do it by unbolting the arm. trying to put it on the fat side will just make it rip, you will have to disconnect the tow haul wire and it's typical for them to be weak where it is clipped on and break the wire, if that happens just patch it back together and if you end up with no tow haul function afterwards then the wire broke inside anyway and will need to be patched. the tow haul is just a bump switch for a ground to the bcm
OK, thanks. I think I'll try to shine a flashlight up there and see if I can contort my body enough to see what's in there.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost to just replace that wiring harness? If it isn't hundreds of $$$, seems like it would be better to just buy a replacement and install the replacement when you replace the boot.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much would it cost to just replace that wiring harness? If it isn't hundreds of $$$, seems like it would be better to just buy a replacement and install the replacement when you replace the boot.
the tow haul is just 1 wire that goes from the shift stalk to the bcm, to replace it you would need a new shifter arm.
the wire eventually breaks along the column from being moved up and down thousands of times, easy fix though.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tow haul is just 1 wire that goes from the shift stalk to the bcm, to replace it you would need a new shifter arm.
the wire eventually breaks along the column from being moved up and down thousands of times, easy fix though.
So you might want to preemptively replace it with a hardier grade of wire?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you might want to preemptively replace it with a hardier grade of wire?
not sure if hardier wire would be any better, maybe a particular type of wire would be preffered I do not know the "technical" terms but some wire is stranded and some twisted, something to that effect one may be less prone to breaking than the other, either way the wire breaking normaly only happens after many years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288