Yukon 2000 - 200,000 Miles - BC, Canada - Second Set of Eyes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jonnyjonnyjonny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i dont know if i didn't understand it or not but i dont see anything on that inspection report that says it failed anything. belts and tune up are common for any shop to try to toss onto a bill regardless if it needs it or not. if np is not pass it says np for a few things that should say n/a as it doesn't have a comvertible roof. actually most of everything on it should be n/a or just brought into question as there's no legitimate way to check some of that stuff. diaphragm.... what diaphragm didn't pass, there few of those in vehicles anymore and unless it didn't work at all most of them are designed to not be taken apart. if its not a total rust heap has maintenance records and your comfortable with the price go for it.
Thanks for the reply drakon543, yeah it confused me a bit too because the certain minor things I found wrong with it definitely were marked as pass... so strange. Yeah the maintenance seemed quite regular on the carfax! Think I'm gonna do it, fits what I need in every aspect.

OP
OP
J

jonnyjonnyjonny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

At the end of the day, purchasing a used vehicle is a bit of a risk, but for many of us, it is the only way to purchase a truck. I say do your due diligence like you are doing now in gaining as much information as possible about the truck. If you decide to purchase the vehicle, simultaneously start a new savings account for truck repairs, and put $300+ into it every month. I did this when I purchased my new-to-me 2007 Yukon XL Denali ($350 per month), and while I have used a lot of the money for repairs, I've maintained a positive balance in the account throughout.
Perfect thank Joseph, I'll be sure to keep this in mind!

OP
OP
J

jonnyjonnyjonny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This comment bothers me. Seems he has something to hide and figures the Mobile Mechanic will not catch it.

I am not a trusting person and always feel [especially] someone selling a vehicle is trying to get over on the buyer.

For that reason I vote not to get it.

If you can convince the owner to take it to your mechanic and he gives the green light then that is a different story.

BTW in all my years of buying used vehicles [from dealer or private owner] never had a issue with any of them taking the vehicle to my independent mechanic.

But that is just me.

Welcome from Miami Beach!
Hey Miami, yeah he didn't want me taking it to a garage but he doesn't mind a mobile mechanic to come along and have a look, ones who have the equipment to hoist up the vehicle and check under the vehicle.

03yukXL

Reaction score
Nothing you mentioned is a major issue. Your biggest concern should be if the trans was rebuild and the color of the trans fluid. Does it shift strong?

From what we can see in the photos and videos there isn’t anything that pops out but at 20 years old with that many miles you will be doing some repairs, you just want to avoid having to do any of the major ones.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 98, sight unseen. Listing looked good, miles were high for me, but within reason for the age. Price was good. I had someone from the area go to the dealer and look it over. They are not a mechanic, but I just wanted some eyes on it. Paid for it, had it shipped about 2,000 miles.

It's OK, but not quite as good as I'd hoped. A few odd things like headliner falling and needs to be replaced, hack job exhaust system I had to have fixed. Cruise doesn't work. Trailer connector wiring corroded to the point of wires breaking off. Grille and dash panel cracked. Sun fading on the clear coat. Door hinge roller pins broken off ... doors don't stay open, driver's door is sagging. A number of dings in doors and other panels that didn't show up in pictures. Some knobs and buttons missing from the dash area.

Various other minor issues that will cost money to have fixed.

I got my money's worth as far as I know, but there are still a lot of questions about mechanical systems like engine and transmission.

All of that said, this size vehicle is not something I would choose for commuting any distance. They are not easy on gas.

Also, you mention this is your first vehicle. Have you looked into insurance? That can be a real shock, sometimes as much as the vehicle payment. In a major metro area, this could be a couple of thousand dollars a year or more. For someone with no file history of vehicle insurance, it could be higher. I get multiple discounts based on years of continuous coverage and no claims. Even at that, I checked the rates before I bought. If they had been too high, I would not have bought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts