Steering Angle Sensor calibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigboy215

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey there Guys,

Need some guidance. Is anyone in here that happens to have a GM Tech II scan tool and live in the Austin Texas area? I need to check/recalibrate my steering angle sensor? After an alignment I am getting traction control/ Service Stabilitrak light on my dash. The alignment shop for some dumb reason does not have the abilty to reset the sensor. I have a fowell NT716 Scanner that has a SAS recalibration function, but my vehicle isnt supported...????

bigboy215

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got two codes on my truck do anybody no what these codes men co455 and co242

bigboy215

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you using a scanner that can read those codes? Lots of inexpensive scanners don't read them.

What was the original code that led you to replace the SAS?
Yes and the code on it now is co455 and co 242

bigboy215

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can anybody help me out with these codes what they mean on my 2009 Tahoe LTZ co455 and co242

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
c0455 says front steering position sensor circuit

c0242 is basically the tcs module telling the ecm something is wrong.

there's some diagnostics for the 455 but you'll need a scanner than can see the steering wheel % and be able to trouble shoot the wiring at the plug. meter and stuff.

if you've already replaced the sensor this will lead you to wiring the ebcm module is bad, which will need programed when replaced

Attachments

• PXL_20231124_210859621.jpg
    PXL_20231124_210859621.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 4

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet that just a simple alignment would not require a sensor recalibration...
Unless it was an accident or some very major front end mishap. Or maybe steering wheel
repair of some sort.. Prob why it's not on the tech II..
I have an aftermarket Autel but I've never looked to see if it's capable as I haven't run
into this with any of the cars I work on (yet)

most of the good alignment racks these days will have a cable to plug into the obd2 port, and they will read the steering angle sensor and you can adjust the tie rods to zero it out. avoids the old way of having to lock the wheel straight. but 99% of all alignment are done at tire shops by guys that can change tires quickly, not ones that care about your alignment. so you get a quick tow and go. normally with the server writer saying they forgot to print the before readings lol. the whole industry is one big scam