Static out of rear speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon XL with a Pioneer X3800 with the PAC RP5 for a little over 3.5 yrs. I have been having a static and a kinda scratching sound coming from rear speakers that comes and goes. It started about 1.5-2 yrs ago. Mainly sounds like the right rear speakers. It would come on a random times and then go away. This last time it has come on and has been I for about a month.
I’ve taken that speaker out and it seems to be heard from other speakers so it doesn’t seem to be a bad speaker. I have disconnected the rear audio controls and it stops but by doing that it cuts out the rear speakers anyway so I really don’t know it it stops or not. I have taken the grounds apart from below the driver door and cleaned and added some no ox type grease there and it seemed to help for a while but has come back.
What are some things to look at?

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m no audio guru but if the speaker is good I’d look for a frayed wire or check the connections to the head unit and the ground cables under the hood.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is an intermittent scratching sound, I believe that a capacitor somewhere in the electronics has failed.

Do you have an external amplifier with your Pioneer, or are you driving your speakers directly from the Pioneer?

If you have the ability to exchange the front and rear speaker wires at the Pioneer unit as a test, this may help pinpoint the source of the static. If, after exchanged, the static now comes out of the front speakers, then the issue is most likely within the Pioneer unit (if there is no external power amp in the system). If the static remains in the rear speakers, then the PAC RP5 may have the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant to say it is still fed through the factory Bose system.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant to say it is still fed through the factory Bose system.

OK. So you have an external amplifier in your system, as I believe that Bose systems have a separate amplifier module (at least, my 07 Denali did, before I ripped out the entire Bose system).

You can still perform the speaker wire swap that I recommended, but first on the output section of the Bose amplifier module. This won't be trivial, as you would have to temporarily cut and splice into the specific speaker wires (assuming the you knew which wires were the specific speaker wires) themselves, as Bose uses proprietary wire connectors into their modules, but it is doable.

I still believe that your issue is being caused by a capacitor failure, and it is most likely in the Bose amplifier module.

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. So you have an external amplifier in your system, as I believe that Bose systems have a separate amplifier module (at least, my 07 Denali did, before I ripped out the entire Bose system).

You can still perform the speaker wire swap that I recommended, but first on the output section of the Bose amplifier module. This won't be trivial, as you would have to cut and splice into the specific speaker wires (assuming the you knew which wires were the specific speaker wires) themselves, as Bose uses proprietary wire connectors into their modules, but it is doable.

I still believe that your issue is being caused by a capacitor failure, and it is most likely in the Bose amplifier module.
I have a spare Bose amplifier here if you need one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts