Starter keeps cranking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When my original starter failed at at 195,000 miles I put an Autozone new starter on it. After about 6 weeks the starter kept running when the engine started for several seconds. Replaced the starter relay. Same thing. I am now on my 3rd Autozone starter (lifetime warranty). This does not happen until about 5 to 6 weeks on the new starter. 07 Tahoe 5.3. No mods. Now the 3rd starter is doing the same thing as of last week. Been on about 6 or 7 weeks. Mostly does it when cool or on first start in the morning. HELP!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my original starter failed at at 195,000 miles I put an Autozone new starter on it. After about 6 weeks the starter kept running when the engine started for several seconds. Replaced the starter relay. Same thing. I am now on my 3rd Autozone starter (lifetime warranty). This does not happen until about 5 to 6 weeks on the new starter. 07 Tahoe 5.3. No mods. Now the 3rd starter is doing the same thing as of last week. Been on about 6 or 7 weeks. Mostly does it when cool or on first start in the morning. HELP!
That may or may not be normal and it may not even be the starter, there is a built in function to keep the starter engaged under certain conditions until the computer detects the engine is running on it's own. when this happens does the key stay forward in the start position and then release when the starter stops?

OP
OP
B

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, when you release the key the starter keeps turning until the engine starts or you turn the key to the off position.

OP
OP
B

black1970

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not ”normal”. Never had this problem before I installed the AutoZone starter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably just go back to a OE starter then, I would poke around online for the best price order one and tell autozone the 3rd times a charm, if it doesn't happen until after the starter has been used a bit it must be the starter

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a specific clearance required for the UP/Down portion of the spacing between
starter gear and flex plate... There is also an IN/OUT clearance (forward/backward) spec
also,, Your aftermarket starter may require shims and/or spacing adjustment of the
starter gear
There are some pics on Powermaster Starters website that will give you a pic

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my point is: that the gear can hang up on the flexplate and not be
"pushed" off like it's supposed to...
Getting a GM starter may or may not solve the issue.. but I'd bet it prob would
I had to shim my new GM starter after my trans was rebuilt a couple years ago.
It worked fine, but made that horrible grinding noise... 1 shim fixed it

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my point is: that the gear can hang up on the flexplate and not be
"pushed" off like it's supposed to...
Getting a GM starter may or may not solve the issue.. but I'd bet it prob would
I had to shim my new GM starter after my trans was rebuilt a couple years ago.
It worked fine, but made that horrible grinding noise... 1 shim fixed it
certainly a possibility usually there are shims in the box with the starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts