Started cleaning sludged engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have concealed carry now. It is nice, truly. Especially the western suburbs. Winter is a bit rough, but it's not the north pole, either.
As a former Illinois resident (born and raised in central IL) we all should be embarrassed at the fact that Illinois is the last state to allow Concealed Carry (along with what politicians/voters have done to the state) and at the restrictions to even get it, costs, ridiculous training requirements, etc.
Here in Indiana a LIFETIME LTCH (License to carry handgun) costs around $130. No training requirement and takes a few weeks or so to get in your hand. You decide on when you want to carry concealed or open carry. None of the ridiculous laws that restrict where you can carry like IL also.
You can duct tape handgun to your forehead, dangle one from your necklace, stuff one in an ankle holster, conceal one in a waistband holster and one in a open carry holster.......if you want...all at the same time.
I left the state in 2009 because of property taxes and gun laws.
You can own anything in Indiana. Machine Gun, Short barreled shotgun (AKA Sawed off) or short barreled rifle, Supressor (AKA Silencer) and can even hunt with them. Of course all NFA weapons have to be registered with the ATF but they are legal here.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As a former Illinois resident (born and raised in central IL) we all should be embarrassed at the fact that Illinois is the last state to allow Concealed Carry (along with what politicians/voters have done to the state) and at the restrictions to even get it, costs, ridiculous training requirements, etc.
Here in Indiana a LIFETIME LTCH (License to carry handgun) costs around $130. No training requirement and takes a few weeks or so to get in your hand. You decide on when you want to carry concealed or open carry. None of the ridiculous laws that restrict where you can carry like IL also.
You can duct tape handgun to your forehead, dangle one from your necklace, stuff one in an ankle holster, conceal one in a waistband holster and one in a open carry holster.......if you want...all at the same time.
I left the state in 2009 because of property taxes and gun laws.
You can own anything in Indiana. Machine Gun, Short barreled shotgun (AKA Sawed off) or short barreled rifle, Supressor (AKA Silencer) and can even hunt with them. Of course all NFA weapons have to be registered with the ATF but they are legal here.
In NJ it's just about impossible to get a concealed carry permit. Unless you deal with money (payroll) or jewelry. Other then that, forget it! And if you do deal with that, it takes forever and they make you jump through hoops.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a lifeling Illinois resident until 3 years ago. It would take a powerball type of cash to get me back. Its sad, there is allot of cool stuff to do in Chicago, and there are plenty of other cool areas in the state. But the taxes arent just bad. They are crippling.
Ive been in Wisconsin since i left. And it has allot of upsides. People here complain about taxes, i think people everywhere do. But Im sure its the comparison that makes me feel blessed with what i pay. Salaries are also quite a bit less here than Chicago metro.
Didnt mean to derail with more talk of relocation.
On to the engine swap. In my experience a swap is not bad, as long as you have the space to be able to walk away from it. If its a hard deadline of a weekend for example..... I personally would hand it off.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As a lifeling Illinois resident until 3 years ago. It would take a powerball type of cash to get me back. Its sad, there is allot of cool stuff to do in Chicago, and there are plenty of other cool areas in the state. But the taxes arent just bad. They are crippling.
Ive been in Wisconsin since i left. And it has allot of upsides. People here complain about taxes, i think people everywhere do. But Im sure its the comparison that makes me feel blessed with what i pay. Salaries are also quite a bit less here than Chicago metro.
Didnt mean to derail with more talk of relocation.
On to the engine swap. In my experience a swap is not bad, as long as you have the space to be able to walk away from it. If its a hard deadline of a weekend for example..... I personally would hand it off.
Agreed--about the swap. The pressure would really be on if it's your only ride too. I farmed my swap out. Would've been cheaper if I did it myself, but it was less aggravating for me. Plus my buddy only charged me $500 labor.

OP
OP
J

Jon Chimpo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kund og break in procedure do uou guys recomend? My buddy was telling me to get a zink additive to temper the cam. Rev the 2500 - 4000rpm 15/20min, drain the oil, refill, very rpm up to 4500, do lots of engine breaking. Drain oil, drive back streets to avoid idle. continuing rpm variance. drain oil after 100 or so miles.

Does that sound good? Im going to start my research tonight on break in.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kund og break in procedure do uou guys recomend? My buddy was telling me to get a zink additive to temper the cam. Rev the 2500 - 4000rpm 15/20min, drain the oil, refill, very rpm up to 4500, do lots of engine breaking. Drain oil, drive back streets to avoid idle. continuing rpm variance. drain oil after 100 or so miles.

Does that sound good? Im going to start my research tonight on break in.
Don't know about the zinc additives. My recollection says that is for old flat tappet cams, not rollers. I'll let others chime in to confirm. Surely there's a variety of procedures out there on the range of LS-based forums.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last time i did it, used a break in additive. Kept my foot out of it for the first 1000 miles and then changed oil.

Churchill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Id just continue what you are doing and then run engine with regular 5w-30 oil(dont use synthetic yet) and subtract a quart of oil and add a quart of tranny fluid. Drive it for 100-200 miles and drain, change oil filter and repeat until oil filter doesnt look like someone threw up hersheys chocolate syrup in it. Then run synthetic. Probably wouldnt hurt to try some engine flush before you start running the tranny fluid mix. If its that bad on the heads just think what the oil galleys and bearings look like.

This reminds me of a 3.8l back in the late 80s that I saw after years of penzoil ran in it.
You ever see the inside of a tranny, how clean it is. We use to add a quart of tranny fluid to the engine oil (drain a quart first), run it for awhile and then dump the oil.