Stabiltrack & service traction control light on with all the bells no whistless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osmosis54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First post her on this forum, hello everyone.

So, we have had our Tahoe since 2008. It's an 07 we purchased with 27k miles on her. She now has 150K and running strong...till recently. So, here goes.

I changed the brake rotors 2 weeks ago because the brakes felt like the rotors were warped. I also had one head light that burned out...fixed that. Changed the pads too. My wife kept saying the car was making a funny noise when she was dropping the kids off @ school in the round about. I could not find any nose. I found the drivers front wheel hub was going out. Then, a Few days later, my wife started freaking out saying the traction control light was on and the car was dinging. I get home, no alarms. Finally, after driving it for a few days, I see the traction control light come on and hear the alarms aka "dinging" she referred to. I have done a ton of web searching and found that the problem is one of many things; brake position sensor, steering sensor, vehicle speed sensor, ground cable, plugs and wires and such.
One thing that seems to be happening when we get the alarm's is that the traction control / stabiltrack warning light come on when backing out of the garage and the 4x4 engages. I turned the car's selector for 2wd, Auto, 4x4 hi and low. I could hear the differential moving when I selected each option. My wife always keeps the control on the Auto selection for the traction control.

Here is what I've done.
New plugs and wires
I checked the brake light, light is not flickering when I depress the pedal so I don't think it's the brake sensor.
I replaced the front hubs & sensors. During the week I drove it, I noticed the front drivers hub started to make some noise. I got two front hubs from amazon & replaced them. No change, still getting traction control/stabiltrack warning light :(
My wife makes an appointment at the stealership and I have her cancel it. Why....good question! I have torque pro and it can only read so much. I was about to get a code reader from Harbor Freight when I ran accross Bluedriver which can read as much as most expensive scan tools. it was a wasted 99$. I should have just been patient and let my wife take it to the dealership.

I got a few codes;
Control Module communications Bus A off U0073 (I did not get this code with torque pro)
Evap code P0449 ( I did get this code with torque pro)
there were also some misfire codes, however, I have changed my plugs and wires and I did not clear the codes till tonight when I read the codes with the new Bluedriver OBD2 scan tool.

Any ideas of how to attack this problem? I was really hoping the new scan tool would do a better job at pointing me in the right direction.

Thank You All in advance for the help!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a tech2 would be pretty handy right about now and going forward if you want to avoid the dealership as much as possible, you are in what I call the "repair zone" @160k some stuff just goes wheel hubs, maf sensor, water pump, various suspension parts, 02 sensors, cat's, it's unavoidable it's where stuff starts to wear out, the good news is once you get past all that you are golden for another 160k. That being said I have read that misfires can throw the stabiltrac/traction control codes and so could transmission problems, this is where a tech2 would be handy because you could verify that it's not a hub, or abs sensor, shock sensor, etc. a diagnosis by the dealer is pretty much a hundred dollar bill, a tech2 (clone) runs $300 so 3 self-diagnosed problems and it's paid for it's self, then it's all cake after that. sounds like you have taken the basic steps to try and correct the problem to no avail .

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
First post her on this forum, hello everyone.

So, we have had our Tahoe since 2008. It's an 07 we purchased with 27k miles on her. She now has 150K and running strong...till recently. So, here goes.

I changed the brake rotors 2 weeks ago because the brakes felt like the rotors were warped. I also had one head light that burned out...fixed that. Changed the pads too. My wife kept saying the car was making a funny noise when she was dropping the kids off @ school in the round about. I could not find any nose. I found the drivers front wheel hub was going out. Then, a Few days later, my wife started freaking out saying the traction control light was on and the car was dinging. I get home, no alarms. Finally, after driving it for a few days, I see the traction control light come on and hear the alarms aka "dinging" she referred to. I have done a ton of web searching and found that the problem is one of many things; brake position sensor, steering sensor, vehicle speed sensor, ground cable, plugs and wires and such.
One thing that seems to be happening when we get the alarm's is that the traction control / stabiltrack warning light come on when backing out of the garage and the 4x4 engages. I turned the car's selector for 2wd, Auto, 4x4 hi and low. I could hear the differential moving when I selected each option. My wife always keeps the control on the Auto selection for the traction control.

Here is what I've done.
New plugs and wires
I checked the brake light, light is not flickering when I depress the pedal so I don't think it's the brake sensor.
I replaced the front hubs & sensors. During the week I drove it, I noticed the front drivers hub started to make some noise. I got two front hubs from amazon & replaced them. No change, still getting traction control/stabiltrack warning light :(
My wife makes an appointment at the stealership and I have her cancel it. Why....good question! I have torque pro and it can only read so much. I was about to get a code reader from Harbor Freight when I ran accross Bluedriver which can read as much as most expensive scan tools. it was a wasted 99$. I should have just been patient and let my wife take it to the dealership.

I got a few codes;
Control Module communications Bus A off U0073 (I did not get this code with torque pro)
Evap code P0449 ( I did get this code with torque pro)
there were also some misfire codes, however, I have changed my plugs and wires and I did not clear the codes till tonight when I read the codes with the new Bluedriver OBD2 scan tool.

Any ideas of how to attack this problem? I was really hoping the new scan tool would do a better job at pointing me in the right direction.

Thank You All in advance for the help!

Not sure if you have an android device, but if you do try this app...

Check out "ChevroSys Scan Free"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...elm327.obd2.chevroletsys.chevroletsysscanfree

It is free and will let you look at OBD2, ABS, ECM, TCM, BCM, and SRS modules.

It's not a Tech2, but it definitely will let you look at more info than the Torque Pro app will.

I'm not sure if Apple has a similar app or not.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
O

Osmosis54

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I'm 99% SURE I solved the problem. This whole problem started when I had replaced the front rotors on the car due to a pulsating when brakes were pressed. I swapped out new rotors and the problem was not resolved. After Banging My Head on fixing the Stabilitrack issue, brake and steering sensor, ground, VSS, New front hubs and no definitive codes via scan tool I found the problem....99% sure.

Brake Master Cylinder was leaking. About 2 months ago, I noticed the brake fluid was low, I looked for leaks, found nothing. 6 weeks later when I did the rotor change out, fluid was still full. I bled the brakes yesterday to get almost NO pedal pressure. Then, I saw it, some moisture on the brake booster and paint missing below it where the fluid was draining out of the booster.

Other than warning lights and bells ringing, the only symptom we were having was in reverse, the truck felt like the rear drivers brake was locked, or better yet, it felt as if the truck was in 4x4. If the dreaded Stabilitrack light comes back, I highly suspect the steering wheel sensor. Like I said, I'm 99% sure its fixed!!!

Thank you all for the help!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to toss in the only time I had that combo including the bells was when I tried backing up in a snow bank and somehow had hit my parking brake. Released brake off we went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali