"Stability Sys Disabled" warning message help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RGBarham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Denali that has started giving the message "Stability Sys Disabled" then "Engine Power Reduced" and cutting your maximum speed to thirty miles per hour. The first time it happened restarting the vehicle had no effect on the problem. I took it to my local Chevy dealer, and his computer showed "no history" of an event. They could not find anything related to the message I reported. They did find that my rear suspension air compressor needed replacing, which I was already aware of, but I was told the two were more than likely unrelated. I went ahead and replaced the compressor, because I tow a large boat with this truck. A couple of weeks after this repair work the error messages happened again, and the engine power was reduced. I did a little research on the internet, and found that if I would disconect the negative battery terminal for ten minutes, it would reset, and I could drive it at normal speed. This worked. The last time it happened, my son was driving it, and he was able to turn it off and restart it, and get it to return to normal function, which we had not been able to do either of the prior two episodes. Very strange. Any Ideas. I need to take it back to the dealer, but they haven't been able to make any headway.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
First question that pops into my head is whether or not you have traction control, because it sounds related to that somehow. Do you have a traction control button? Have you tried just pushing it when you received this message to see if it changed?

That's just a shot in the dark, though. If it's turned off, a light on your dash should tell you.

Also, did they check the front electric shocks? If you have airride, your front shocks are electronically adjusted. Maybe they are causing the "stability" issue.

If you ever need to replace your compressor again, I HIGHLY recommend shopping around for a deal first. I just replaced mine for a fraction of the cost the dealer wanted by ordering one for $180 on-line. In fact, I got the entire rear suspension replaced and installed for less then the dealer quoted price on just the shocks before installation. I literally saved over $1000. That's crazy.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_GMC_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid15.html

OP
OP
R

RGBarham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do have traction control, and I will try turning it off the next time this happens. Replacing the compressor was around 520, so sounds like you saved a bunch. I plan on keeping this vehicle a long time. I also have a 2007 Denali, so I would like to learn how to fix some of these bugs that come up. The biggest problem with the 03 acting up is that my 16 yo son drives it, and might be away from home when it shuts down to 30 mph, so I need to figure this out.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
As someone also with a 16 year-old son, I wouldn't rule him out as the cause....lol.

The hard part with answering this question is that multiple systems are involved in the Stabilitrak system, which this message refers to. Suspension, steering, brakes are all part of it. It may take a long, hard look by a good mechanic to figure it out.

Just a note for future reference on the suspension stuff. If you go to the link I provided, you can replace pretty much all parts of the airride system for much less, so I'd keep that in mind. I got Bilstein air-shocks as replacements to the OEM ones for the simple reason that they have a lifetime warranty. Tough to beat that, and they were cheaper, and are Bilstein....I couldn't argue.

Good luck with figuring your stability issue out.

Last edited:

docm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 03, turned out the ride level was screwed up by a bad compressor and blown bag on one air shock. I got the Arnott refurbished shocks and the compressor for 650 all together and now the truck works great. Accept! I hate that part. Now the Stablity System Disabled message appears about every 3rd day of the week, once a day, never to return again until you forget when it came on the last time. Any advise for this? Until then no hard turning or evasive maneuvers.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man u revived an old thread. but i believe the stability systems also monitors the abs system. may be worth considering. but pay attention to where you are when this happens next time. at my old house, there was a side road i took quite often. well 3 out of 4 times, when id go down the rd there was a spot with a very soft shoulder and alittle dip in that shoulder. when i hit that dip, my display would say that stab sys stuff. but not 1 other time has it ever done that, other than that dip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz