SSV or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How can one tell if they have a SSV Tahoe?

I have a "GAM" RPO code and this designates it as a "Government vehicle", is that the same thing?

It also came with a push bumper with accessory lighting but I took it off after I bought it.

Last edited:

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the 5W4 rpo code? Also most of the time SSV's do not have DIC switches or steering wheel radio controls.

Last edited:

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rpo codes mentioned is what I have been told it’s an SSV. Not sure if this also puts it in the category, HD cooling and external trans cooler, stock.

What ya do with the push bumper? If you still have it with the brackets and in good condition I might be interested in it.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have the 5W4 rpo code? Also most of the time SSV's do not have DIC switches or steering wheel radio controls.

I dont see a 5W4 code. According to the salesman at the dealership, while we were inside finishing the paperwork they had it in the garage ridding the vehicle of its "flashers" in the headlights.
I think he refered to it as an old "Trooper" rig. He said they just installed a new factory radio as well... I dont put any faith into what the man had to say though.:rolleyes:
It does has DIC's and radio controls.

The Rpo codes mentioned is what I have been told it’s an SSV. Not sure if this also puts it in the category, HD cooling and external trans cooler, stock.

What ya do with the push bumper? If you still have it with the brackets and in good condition I might be interested in it.

What code are you referring to? The "GAM" that I mentioned, or the "5W4" that GreyStone did?
It does indeed have a external trans cooler, Im pretty sure its on the RPO code list too.
Im in the middle of restoring the push bar. Its made by Ryno I think.

Here is my RPO sticker if that helps..

Nf379c1l.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But typically anyone who finds a "GAM" RPO code is the owner of an SSV?

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But typically anyone who finds a "GAM" RPO code is the owner of an SSV?
No...Government agencies purchase regular vehicles as well as the more severe service work duty versions. Sometimes the regular vehicles go to supervisors, are used as transportation for political dignitaries, or can be used as under cover vehicles as PPV/SSV are usually easy to spot from the outside.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked at the engine hours. 1946 hours and the truck has 73k on it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
No...Government agencies purchase regular vehicles as well as the more severe service work duty versions. Sometimes the regular vehicles go to supervisors, are used as transportation for political dignitaries, or can be used as under cover vehicles as PPV/SSV are usually easy to spot from the outside.
I bought a used 89 Firebird Formula 350 back in 94 that was purchased new by the GSA, and was used by the DEA. Interesting car.

OP
OP
Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 89 Firebird Formula 350 back in 94 that was purchased new by the GSA, and was used by the DEA. Interesting car.

Did it have a secret door in the console for....."stuff"?....:D:p
Did you find anything interesting in it?
I keep hoping ill find some clue as to the history of mine but all I have found so far is a U.S. Government ink pen when taking out the seats.

Last edited: