Valve Cover Change & Cleanup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The carfax shows its last owner(10 yrs) lived in a small town here in central TX where it doesn't get very cold? I don't know, maybe its pretty normal, 4200 hrs and 131k miles if you use non-synthetic oil and change it when the puter says 0% ?

I have a Kubota V2203 diesel engine that powers the generator in my motorhome. It has 13,000 hrs on it and it is clean as a whistle inside.

It's apparent to me that the last owner(10 yrs) did NOT take good care of it.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like conventional oil deposits from being around too long. My memory isn't so clear anymore but I don't remember the underside of my valve covers being anywhere near like that on any of the cars I took apart over the years.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like conventional oil deposits from being around too long. My memory isn't so clear anymore but I don't remember the underside of my valve covers being anywhere near like that on any of the cars I took apart over the years.
I meant to say "did NOT take care of it" in my previous post. I edited it so it now says so.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant to say "did NOT take care of it" in my previous post. I edited it so it now says so.

Come to think of it, that black stuff reminds me of the time my dad went 30,000 miles between oil changes the motor quit. My brother and I poured gasoline through the motor and cranked it over by hand and then flushed it out with a couple gallons of oil and it ran fine after that. It was the last of the Olds 350 Rocket motors in our 1980 Delta 88.

I also remember seeing that stuff now under the cap of a customer's Honda who never changed their oil but in both cases the stuff was much thicker and rocky now that I think of it.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
donjetman thanks for positng the pics. i just changed out the drivers side valve cover on my 09 ** with 198k miles and it was much worse than that. Previous owner swears up and down that it never saw anything but synthetic oil and was always changed per maintenance schedule.
It already had the updated valve cover on it (did not know till got it off) but I went ahead and installed a new one rather than trying to clean this one up. It is almost impossible to access the passenger side valve cover on these Hybrids so I am not messing with cleaning it up. I am afriad to try any type of engine flush as it will probably clog up everything inside the engine. Just going to do oil changes at 3000 miles or less and see how it does from here forward. It will probably be Ok maybe the oil sludge is protecting the parts Hahahahaha
IMG_6765.jpg

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
if the car fax says po changed the oil than po changed the oil? excessive blowby caused by poor design AFM engines requireing updated valve covers and baffleing in oil pan? that area of the valve cover is where anything that could collect will collect. The oil pan removal didnt show any signs of sludge/sediment, i think its absolutely a byproduct of the pcv issues and not an indicator of abuse.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are breathing new life into that engine, ill say the deposits are probably the result of condesation from a cold winter area. even synthetics will leave residue if the engine dosent stay at op temp long enough to burn the water out.
I hope its not too late?
I wonder what the inside of my daily driver for the last 10+ yrs looks like? I do extended oil changes and used oil analysis. I've gone 19k miles between oil changes. Today it has 187k miles and doesn't leak or burn any oil. Here's a link:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-14-500-miles-toy-fj-cruiser-4-0l#Post4918507

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu