Spare Tire questions -Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Z71 Tahoe and I just replaced the stock 265/65-18s with 275/65-18s
The new tires are about 32.1" diameter. My stock spare is 265/17-17 (about 31.6 diameter)

I'm deciding on what to do with the spare, I see 3 options and have 2 questions.

1) Leave it as is. It only has a -1.6% size difference, that could get me to a gas station, though potentially could burn up my LSD if run for longer.

2) Keep the steel rim and get a bigger donut that is closer in diameter. What size spare to those with OEM 285/45R22 tires have? I could find a 255/75-17 which should be closer.

3) Get a matching rim/tire and do 5 wheel rotations. Anyone know if the Tahoe stores 5 TPMS sensors in the computer, or would I have to re add/remove during each rotation? Does our current spare have a TPMS sensor?

Anyone have answers to #2 and #3?
Thanks
-Tony

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1. Isn't the diff an electronic locker? I don't think 1.6% will throw it off that much where the computer will "lock" it.

#2. I have the 20" wheels and tires and still have the 17" spare. I believe everyone gets the same size spare no matter what. I bought a Nissan Titan 20" steel wheel so if I ever do the big brake swap I can still ise the spare. You could look at a different wheel/tire combination like that.

#3. I do my own tire rotations and there is only 4 tpms stored. I reprogram them each time, but still only 4.

I would look at just putting a bigger/better tire on the spare rim, unless you need a bigger rim. I was surprised to see the full size spare was still just a temporary use only! Not good if you are in the boonies somewhere...

OP
OP
T

TonyNJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
#1. Isn't the diff an electronic locker? I don't think 1.6% will throw it off that much where the computer will "lock" it.

#2. I have the 20" wheels and tires and still have the 17" spare. I believe everyone gets the same size spare no matter what. I bought a Nissan Titan 20" steel wheel so if I ever do the big brake swap I can still ise the spare. You could look at a different wheel/tire combination like that.

#3. I do my own tire rotations and there is only 4 tpms stored. I reprogram them each time, but still only 4.

I would look at just putting a bigger/better tire on the spare rim, unless you need a bigger rim. I was surprised to see the full size spare was still just a temporary use only! Not good if you are in the boonies somewhere...

I'm pretty sure my truck has an old style hydraulic(pressure plate) LSD. By comparison, my old Pathfinder used to have electronic brake actuated(where the computer uses the brakes to control slippage.) I do know that running different size tire diameters with the pressure plate type of LSD is really ******* the pressure plates (years ago I burned up my '76 Camaro LSD after about 3 weeks of a mismatched tire size on.)

So you still have a 17" rim on the spare, but is it the 265/70-17 or did they give you a 255/75-17? I'm really thinking of just putting the bigger better tire on my 17" rim. As you said, if your really stuck somewhere in the boonies, a matching tire diameter can make a difference.

As for the TMPS, when you rotate, you only need to do position change. If you have to add/remove TPMS sensors from the computer, that's a bit more in depth and something I'd want to avoid.

-Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21