Spare Tire Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That type of tire repair Kit is all that the Hybrids have (No Spare tire) unless someone has retrofitted it with a spare. Weight saving thing I guess. It bothered me at first. I actually considered putting one in but I decided to just have a plug kit/air Compressor that plugs into the cig lighter and in case of a really bad situation a Jack/lug wrench so that I could remove the wheel. Does not seem to be unusual to see an older vehicle that has a spare tire that has never been removed/used. Chances are probably fair to middling that a person will never need one.

06 Yukon XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD 40 is not a lubricant. It is a silicon spray that displaces water (WD). The 40 represents the number of formulations that made before they started selling it. Silcion spray gets sticky when it dries. Not a good lubricant.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whoa, [emoji189] just panicked. Thought I had been using a silicone lube for decades on critical areas. Just looked at the email wd40 site ...

While the ingredients in WD-40[emoji2400] Multi-Use Product are secret, we can tell you what it does NOT contain. WD-40[emoji2400] Multi-Use Product does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, graphite, or chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

WD does make a Silicone lube now. That’s prolly what’s being mentioned.

6e849eb621ab4d1175787c9e979aef12.jpg420677f0b1b2652b9c65602ce91f7966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Roger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its time for me to purchase new tires and after the leveling kit I really wanted to fill in the wheel wells just a bit more by switching from the 265/70/17 to 285/70/17s.
My biggest dilemma was going with a C rated vs E rated tire. Such a mix of opinions all over the net regarding this, some say the Es are a terrible stiff ride, and some proclaim its not not so bad.
Ive spent allot of time reading about the pros vs cons only to realize the other day that I have been riding on Es the entire time. Seems like the people complaining about a harsh ride were owners of Toyotas and Jeeps with lighter vehicles.
People with the C rated tires complain of a "balloony" quality, and before I knew I had E rated tires I was in agreeance! I cant imagine going to Cs now..
swathdivers comment, quoted below was the final deciding factor for me.
Going with BFG AT KO2 285/70/17 E rated. Also thinking about deleting my spare...

Stock 265-70-17 BFG KO2 in Load Range C. Was originally told they had same sidewall as Load Range E tire. Not so. Two of them have been patched after getting punctured with large nails that caused slow leaks despite their size. Bought them for the same reason as you and went with lighter tire.

Have considered going with 33" or 35" tire and a lift but will probably leave that to my daughter's truck after we buy it, she's fourteen. She wants that more than my wife and I! LOL

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens when you go to replace the tire? How hard is it to clean out the goo? I assume it doesn't hurt the TPMS sensor?

Slime makes a TPMS safe tire sealant. I have used it the past with no issues with the TPMS sensors in my tires. I can't speak for any other product as I have not used any.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice for a small puncture but a blow out, bead separation, sidewall damage...

Driving a 6000# SUV and wanting to shed 80# spare tire seems an unnecessary risk for such little gain.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Slime makes a TPMS safe tire sealant. I have used it the past with no issues with the TPMS sensors in my tires. I can't speak for any other product as I have not used any.

Some shops will charge extra to change a tire with goo in it. I worked in a place where they charged an extra hour labor to clean up all the mess it makes. It can make a huge mess when the tire is broken down and gets all over the equipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505