Spare Tire Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Do ya'll carry a spare tire? I've been having issues with the latch being sticky. I shot about half a can of wd-40 on the latch before putting it away the most recent time I had it down. If I keep having issues with it being sticky I'm considering just deleting the tire and removing the winch/cable assembly. I'd rather not carry the 70 pounds of tire and equipment if it will get stuck when I go to take it down if I have a flat.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do ya'll carry a spare tire? I've been having issues with the latch being sticky. I shot about half a can of wd-40 on the latch before putting it away the most recent time I had it down. If I keep having issues with it being sticky I'm considering just deleting the tire and removing the winch/cable assembly. I'd rather not carry the 70 pounds of tire and equipment if it will get stuck when I go to take it down if I have a flat.

My winch failed to retract the tire all the way up and rather then pop the rivets and rebuild it, I bought a used one off ebay that works. So yes, I have LT AT tires, a tire inflator, fix a flat and a plug kit and also carry the spare. It's ten years old almost and appears to never have been used. Will have to replace it as well at some point. We drop the spare and exercise the winch every January and now July. Don't use it, you lose it.

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
My winch failed to retract the tire all the way up and rather then pop the rivets and rebuild it, I bought a used one off ebay that works. So yes, I have LT AT tires, a tire inflator, fix a flat and a plug kit and also carry the spare. It's ten years old almost and appears to never have been used. Will have to replace it as well at some point. We drop the spare and exercise the winch every January and now July. Don't use it, you lose it.
Ah. What size tires do you run? I've got non-LT Toyo AT2s on there right now in stock 275/55/20 size but I want to get the LT 285/55/20 when it comes time for new tires so I don't know what I'm going to do for the spare. My mechanic that I go to sometimes got the mechanism freed up so it will actually drop the wheel down now. He told me to pull it down once a month and spray it. Will see. I want the LT tires so they're more puncture resistant.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah. What size tires do you run? I've got non-LT Toyo AT2s on there right now in stock 275/55/20 size but I want to get the LT 285/55/20 when it comes time for new tires so I don't know what I'm going to do for the spare. My mechanic that I go to sometimes got the mechanism freed up so it will actually drop the wheel down now. He told me to pull it down once a month and spray it. Will see. I want the LT tires so they're more puncture resistant.

Stock 265-70-17 BFG KO2 in Load Range C. Was originally told they had same sidewall as Load Range E tire. Not so. Two of them have been patched after getting punctured with large nails that caused slow leaks despite their size. Bought them for the same reason as you and went with lighter tire.

Have considered going with 33" or 35" tire and a lift but will probably leave that to my daughter's truck after we buy it, she's fourteen. She wants that more than my wife and I! LOL

OP
OP
R3cord303

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Stock 265-70-17 BFG KO2 in Load Range C. Was originally told they had same sidewall as Load Range E tire. Not so. Two of them have been patched after getting punctured with large nails that caused slow leaks despite their size. Bought them for the same reason as you and went with lighter tire.

Have considered going with 33" or 35" tire and a lift but will probably leave that to my daughter's truck after we buy it, she's fourteen. She wants that more than my wife and I! LOL
Nice. I'll probably wind up getting the LT tires and deleting the spare is what I'm thinking. If I can grab another 20" rim out of the wrecking yard and put another 285/55/20 on that in the spare tire location I'll do that but I'm not holding my breath.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'll probably wind up getting the LT tires and deleting the spare is what I'm thinking. If I can grab another 20" rim out of the wrecking yard and put another 285/55/20 on that in the spare tire location I'll do that but I'm not holding my breath.
It will fit under there, you may have to take a sawzall to rear of hitch and bend the exhaust heat shield but it'll fit

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly james, thought they put 17” steelies under them all.

When looking to replace my hoist, I came across another part number for those with 22" wheels. Never saw an actual picture of one though. About two years or so ago we were all talking about this and am pretty sure, maybe it was Wes, who stuck a stock 22 wheel and tire under his Denali. Not certain anymore but there were pics, I think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu