Son of a ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm driving down seventh avenue this morning in rush hour traffic and right in front of Penn station/MSG the engine shuts down and the dic throws up a 'check hybrid system" message.

Tried to start her back up, nothing. Still electrical power to the systems but she won't turn over. So now I'm blocking NYC traffic, getting cussed out by the natives, whilst I'm trying to get through to on star. I must say they were very helpful and were about to get me towed to the nearest chevy dealer when the truck magically started up again. By that time about half an hour had passed.

So I drove straight to potamkin chevy on 11th avenue where I sit now. When I got here the chck engine light was still on but the truck seemed to work fine. I did need to have her checked out though cause I was about to drive four hours to dc with my bulldog in the back and couldn't risk breaking down again and have the dog overheat whilst I wait at the side of the road.

Any hoot, the service guys have been great bumping me in front of the line because of my circumstances. They diagnosed the issue, and I'm beyond furious. Turns out someone popped out the battery system cover on the passenger side of the second row bench seat and pulled out the manual battery disable key that they use when they work on the truck, and didn't push it back it all the way. When I went over NYC potholes it loosened it up and shut down the system.

Now I have been away, and the only people who had access to my car whilst I was gone were the asshats at the parking garage across from where I was staying last night. Those ********* got curious, or who knows what, and decided to dick ouroun with shit they know nothing about. And for what reason? Were they just curious? Were they looking to steal shit? But if so why pull the plastic disable key?

Ugh! I'm glad there's nothing wrong with the truck, at least that's what it looks like but what a gigantic pain in the ass!

When the key goes out it shuts down everything and it takes twenty or so minutes for all the systems to self diagnose, communicate, and allow the truck to be restarted, that's why it took a while fo me to be able to turn it back on. Now they have the laptop plugged in to reset everything and hopefully I'll be on my way home soon ... probably a couple of hundred bucks lighter in the wallet to boot.

And a little heads up to my fellow hybrid guys, pop the plastic on the side of the back seat every once in a while and check to make sure the orange plastic key is pushed all the way in. It'll save you a headache down the road.

Sent from my iPad

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Btw, another helpful tip I just discovered.

Our trucks have a safety feature which disables auto-stop if you pop the hood. This is so people don't think the truck is turned off when they open the hood. So if you ever need to drive in gas mode only, just pop the hood without opening it, and you'll get to the nearest dealer to have the truck checked out.

06xl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it wasn't a big problem also what do you usually do to prepare for a long trip I'm heading up your way from D.C Thursday morning first long trip in the Denali

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome home Serge!

Sucks that this crap happened to you. :(

Get your mail yet? :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can you say anything to the place where you had it parked at? If I have someone parking my ride I fully expect them to leave crap alone although I know that doesn't always happen.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It takes 20 minutes for the system to self diagnose and allow you to restart? Did gm put Windows 95 in it or something? Didn't spring for the extra ram? What a joke!!! I'd be ticked!!!

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
i was just there this morning...dropping my gf off at the Bolt Bus stop in front of MSG..small world!

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So can you say anything to the place where you had it parked at? If I have someone parking my ride I fully expect them to leave crap alone although I know that doesn't always happen.

Proof sir, u need it. :)

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to detail the thread, but I would probably ditch the bug guard before I invest in video cameras. Just sayin. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tim j