Son of a ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a_r_s_c_h.gif

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Now that sucks but I guess its part of the Hybird life!

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to detail the thread, but I would probably ditch the bug guard before I invest in video cameras. Just sayin. :)

Too funny.. Glad you got back up and running Serge.. Thanks for giving us hybrid guys a heads up! Drive safe:)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ... okay I just got home, she drove like nothing ever happened.

I'm gonna answer all the comments this evening after I unpack, feed/walk the bulldog, and get some food.

Cheers!

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it wasn't a big problem also what do you usually do to prepare for a long trip I'm heading up your way from D.C Thursday morning first long trip in the Denali

Hi bud, I don't usually do anything in the way of preparations these days as the longest road trips I have taken with the HyHoe are basically back and forth from DC to NYC. I figure a triple a card, on star, and an amex will get me out of most woods. Sometimes the NJ turnpike forces me to detour via Atlantic City, i reluctantly comply, so a little extra cash and deodorant are always a plus. :) Oh and shoot me a pm when you are in dc ... we'll grab a beer or three.

Welcome home Serge!

Sucks that this crap happened to you. :(

Get your mail yet? :)

Thanks Robbie ... sokay bud it all got sorted out in the end.
And no package yet, but I'm sure it'll be here tomorrowish.

So can you say anything to the place where you had it parked at? If I have someone parking my ride I fully expect them to leave crap alone although I know that doesn't always happen.

Since it was nothing major, I just thanked my lucky stars, took the truck, picked up my dog, and just bolted. What's the point of getting into it with them? I'll lose my temper, waste my time as they surely will deny it and I have no proof, which will anger me further to the point I might do something I will regret. Meh, I took a deep zen breath, and decided to move on.

As far as why one of them dicked around with it, I simply have no idea ... sometimes the simplest answer is that some people are just assholes. :)

It takes 20 minutes for the system to self diagnose and allow you to restart? Did gm put Windows 95 in it or something? Didn't spring for the extra ram? What a joke!!! I'd be ticked!!!

Perhaps you are underestimating the complexity of the system and what it takes to make it operational, safe, efficient, and reliable (unless someone goes pulling shit out which would negatively affect any vehicle).

It's no understatement to say that the 2 mode hybrid system was a major automotive technological breakthrough. So much so that it was part of Popular Mechanics' top 10 inventions of the year it came out.

Many failsafes are built into it simply because of the amount of voltage running through. When it engages a safety shut down a substantial amount of components take themselves off line. As opposed to a regular startup it has to verify each one of them to make sure it's operational, then a whole sequence of stand alone checks and different elements communicating with each other have to clear.

So yes it takes some time, but it's not something that Hoe/Yuk/Esky owners experience on a regular basis, just when some ******* goes pocking where he shouldn't. :)

i was just there this morning...dropping my gf off at the Bolt Bus stop in front of MSG..small world!

I was stopped at the corner of 31st and 7th ... why you no help me? :)

Glad nothing is actually wrong with your truck. Good info that you posted about the Hybrid.
Too funny.. Glad you got back up and running Serge.. Thanks for giving us hybrid guys a heads up! Drive safe:)

You're welcome guys, folks helping and informing each other is why I love this forum ... for once I can add something constructive. :waytogo:

Man that sucks... at least nothing was wrong with the HyHoe!

Except for being so irresistible that parking attendants can't keep their paws away from her. :)

Now that sucks but I guess its part of the Hybird life!

Well, yes and no ... if the guy had puled something vital from a regular hoe the same thing would have happened. Depending on which part they messed with it's possible that more damage would have been done. True today was inconvenient and frustrating, but the truck functioned exactly as it should by shutting itself down and not allowing a restart until it established it was safe to do so.

Not to detail the thread ...

Man, you must really need money to work as a thread detailer. :)

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now that things have calmed down a bit, I wanted to note a couple of things about today's experience.

1. The On Star folks could not have been nicer or more helpful. Although I ended up not needing them in the end for roadside assistance, they did all they could to get a tow truck to me in midtown Manhattan during rush hour. Had I not cancelled it because she started back up they would have been there within 45 minutes. So unless it's something minor like a flat, I'll be on starring it before I triple a it. On a side note, the on star guy I talked to in my vehicle called me on my cell phone whilst I was waiting at the dealer to check on me and the truck, and threw in 100 talk minutes for no real reason other than good customer service. I know folks have mixed feelings about on star, especially because of the high cost ... personally I feel more reassured having them within reach and my confidence in the system has grown.

2. Another institution we often take shots at, often rightfully so, are dealers and their service centers. I showed up at 9am on a Monday morning without an appointment at a Manhattan dealership (Potamkin). At least 30 cars lined up for service in front of me. Although not my home dealership, and very little chance of getting repeat business from me as a result, the service manager took my situation under consideration and bumped me in front of the line and had me out of there by noon. Not only that but he charged me NOTHING!!! Even though this was clearly not a warranty issue he invoiced it as such for $0. Of course I tipped the mechanic $40 cause it seemed the right thing to do under the circumstances. So after breaking down in the most expensive city in the US, other than the hassle and three hours lost, because of the dealer, it cost me practically nada.

Take the above for what it is worth ... for me, in these times when most companies provide almost nonexistent customer service, try to milk you for every dime, and don't operate as promised, I thought it fair and important to note the few times when they come through for one of their customers.

Last edited: