Sometimes it starts. Sometimes no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 04 suburban Z71 4x4 with 130000 miles on it or close to that. I have had several issues with this vehicle since we bought it. My problem i am dealing with now is what the title of this thread states. The vehicle may sit for a few days between uses. One time I got in the sub and drove it to a local ice cream shop. Started with no problem. Drove about 5 or 6 miles shut it off, orderd food went back to it and no start. Lights and everything else worked. Jumped it and it started right up. Happed again a week later when the wife took it to get gas and it would not start at gas station. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 04 suburban Z71 4x4 with 130000 miles on it or close to that. I have had several issues with this vehicle since we bought it. My problem i am dealing with now is what the title of this thread states. The vehicle may sit for a few days between uses. One time I got in the sub and drove it to a local ice cream shop. Started with no problem. Drove about 5 or 6 miles shut it off, orderd food went back to it and no start. Lights and everything else worked. Jumped it and it started right up. Happed again a week later when the wife took it to get gas and it would not start at gas station. Any help would be appreciated!!!
Thanks

When you say “no start”, do you mean it will turn over but not start or it won’t even turn over?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
first have your battery tested, if the battery is good then
throw a hammer in the back seat, next time it wont start grab that hammer and tap on the starter housing a couple times and see if it starts then, if it does then that is your likely culprit, what you are describing is typically a starter issue, but you should confirm first, don't just run out and buy a starter.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like an issue that I had with my Yukon. @Doubeleive gave you great advice on what your next step should be.

I ended up replacing my starter, which I purchased at Rock Auto, and I've never had the issue since then.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you say “no start”, do you mean it will turn over but not start or it won’t even turn over?

This needs to be answered. Is it a "crank, but no start," or "no crank?"

The positive and negative battery cables are known to rot from the inside out, so jumping the battery may be moving them enough to make a better connection.

OP
OP
R

Randy74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This needs to be answered. Is it a "crank, but no start," or "no crank?"

The positive and negative battery cables are known to rot from the inside out, so jumping the battery may be moving them enough to make a better connection.
Everything works when the key is on but when I try to start it it just clicks. It does not do it all the time. Thats why I am baffled.

OP
OP
R

Randy74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will test the battery. The battery is only a couple of years old but that really does not matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs