Some people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People who aren't car people have a really difficult time comprehending the hobby, much more so than other hobbies. It also has a lot to do with the people who shine a bad light on the car hobby (which is the same reason I don't go to car meets, clubs, etc.). Some people spend tons of money on tattoos, drinking/partying, daily Starbucks, traveling, etc. But those things are considered "normal" and "acceptable" where cars are "depreciating" and a waste of money. Usually those people are the ones buying new cars every 3 years. I've had people ask me why I'm "wasting" so much money on my 08 and they still walk away bewildered after I tell them it's paid for and I can spend $20k on it and still be way ahead of a $100k new one and I like mine better.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who aren't car people have a really difficult time comprehending the hobby, much more so than other hobbies. It also has a lot to do with the people who shine a bad light on the car hobby (which is the same reason I don't go to car meets, clubs, etc.). Some people spend tons of money on tattoos, drinking/partying, daily Starbucks, traveling, etc. But those things are considered "normal" and "acceptable" where cars are "depreciating" and a waste of money. Usually those people are the ones buying new cars every 3 years. I've had people ask me why I'm "wasting" so much money on my 08 and they still walk away bewildered after I tell them it's paid for and I can spend $20k on it and still be way ahead of a $100k new one and I like mine better.
I had a friend that would always give me a hard time about the fact that I did almost all my own car repairs. Didn’t understand when I said that working on cars was like a therapy for me and that I was able to save money. Thought I was insane when I would fix things and keep vehicles past 200K. One day I penciled it out for him. I put down what I had spent on tools, parts, lower insurance due to older vehicle, lower registration costs due to older vehicle and lack of car payments, and compared it to what he was spending on car payments, higher insurance, higher registration fees and paying a shop to do all the maintenance. He was astounded at the difference of cost. At the time I had our 2007 XL Denali and he was driving a 2014 XL so basically the same vehicle. He started asking me to show/help him learn how to do his own work. He is still driving that thing whereas he would have normally traded it in after 2 or 3 years. Has thanked me a couple times for helping him save money.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will always be people to tell you how to live your life. It is unfortunate, but it is true. Enjoy what you have and never try to justify it to others. If you have to justify it, you likely will never be able to.

Amen to that !!! Sadly I recently had to cut off some judgmental family members cause of that BS. Funny how most of these "life critics" dont even have their own Lives/Shit in order. FKN sad !!! :puke::pp:

Was also on a popular oil forum and a snob from California was always knocking down my '01 suburban work truck beater every time I posted a upgrade or cool story about it. He was always bragging about his new $50K truck and he paid off house in Utah blah blah. Told him if my 20 year old $1500 suburban work truck was so "Offensive" to him that he was more than welcome to come down to Dallas and buy me a new $65K Suburban so I can haul boxes and used car parts or go he could go :manos: :D:D

Dave
(A PROUD owner of a 325K mile '01 Suburban that still kicks ass on Texas grass while I crank up some Motley Crue :chewie:)

IMG_20200618_160734.jpg

Last edited:

jj88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a friend that would always give me a hard time about the fact that I did almost all my own car repairs. Didn’t understand when I said that working on cars was like a therapy for me and that I was able to save money. Thought I was insane when I would fix things and keep vehicles past 200K. One day I penciled it out for him. I put down what I had spent on tools, parts, lower insurance due to older vehicle, lower registration costs due to older vehicle and lack of car payments, and compared it to what he was spending on car payments, higher insurance, higher registration fees and paying a shop to do all the maintenance. He was astounded at the difference of cost. At the time I had our 2007 XL Denali and he was driving a 2014 XL so basically the same vehicle. He started asking me to show/help him learn how to do his own work. He is still driving that thing whereas he would have normally traded it in after 2 or 3 years. Has thanked me a couple times for helping him save money.

Can you post a rough figure of what you penciled down? curious.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 came with some very attractive polished wheels that attracted attention by car show guys. They don't offer those now, so a vote for the older stuff. Maybe most importantly it didn't cost $75,000! The bike pictured to the left is 45 years old and no one ever says it's too old.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
But it’s not even really a car guy thing ... the other guy was probably the sort that gets a new car just to let people see him in a new car.

If an 18 year old (or especially older) truck looks good and runs good, there’s good money that it was built better to last longer.

IMHO, I’ve always liked the nbs body and was very reluctant to upgrade to my 2009. If it wasn’t for the 6.2l engine in the 09 I would have dropped the money to fix the transmission and ABS computer issue in my 02.

Not to mention I’m a teacher so I don’t buy new, I’ll never buy first two years of a new model, and I’ve never liked the eyelash headlights. Heck, I didn’t really like the big nnbs headlights until after I saw the eyelashes on the then “new” ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz