Some 2016 GM models cut powertrain warranty from 100K to 60K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15GMCSLE

GM dealer service employee here. Here's the info I gathered regarding the warranty change.
A few thousand people surveyed after purchasing a new GM vehicle rated the 100k p/t warranty as the last reason they purchased the vehicle. Warranty claims are down on p/t items. GM is building a better vehicle. But mainly the extra cost of the p/t warranty was not generating a return on investment.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

I clearly remember customers saying "cars must be a pos if you need a warranty that long" or something of that nature when the warranty was put in place. Customer perceive a long warranty means there will be problems. Getting rid of the warranty will make them feel the quality is better therefore the warranty is no longer needed.

charliedawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had to have cam and lifters replaced on my 2008 5.3 Suburban at almost 5 years and 70,000 miles. That's over a $5000 repair (at a dealership albeit) that was covered under the 100k power train warranty and would now no longer be covered. So you know what I think GM should keep doing.

Reaction score
To me, this speaks of GM trying to save money. Considering they are cutting the free oil changes and tire rotations from 4 to 2, the amount of profit wiped out in the last year of recalls, and whatever other profit was lost due to warranty work. Of course publicly, they won't admit that.

My current GM, as much as I love it, will be my last due to this move. Go to YouTube and search "2015 Tahoe Frame Rust." GM does not powdercoat their truck frames - they are wax dipped, which is not only more cost effective, but doesn't last nearly as long. Silverados and Sierras are having problems with this as well.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friends 2012 RR just had 4k worth of brake and steering work done because of excessive corrosion issues.
I'm sorry, but the Brits have a long way to go before I believe they can actually build a strong and reliable vehicle.
They also look a little feminine to me.. JMO.

Ive got to tell you guys, this truck has been everything I expected.
No problems, handles great, super quiet and plenty of power and most of all, safe.

Although I understand luxury vehicle maintenance is Satishs business, I'm not one to even look at fit and finish, I fine with this truck fine. I'm not into vehicles to the point where I covet them. Life is too short, and I have more shit to take up my time, so I don't to get my panties in a bunch over micro critiquing a mass production vehicle.

Bottom line for me? In three years, the the next one takes its place. Just get me to point A to point B comfortably.

I had to have cam and lifters replaced on my 2008 5.3 Suburban at almost 5 years and 70,000 miles. That's over a $5000 repair (at a dealership albeit) that was covered under the 100k power train warranty and would now no longer be covered. So you know what I think GM should keep doing.

IMO, This rings of over extended oil use.
Change your oil sooner, and this won't ever happen again. I still change my oil no later than 4k, and have never had any sort of engine failure in my life.
If you did indeed have worn lifters, expect your oil pressure to start dropping as the rods and mains are also worn.

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I disagree with the oil change intervals having something to do with lifter failure in the early DOD engines. My avalanche lost a lifter at 20k miles and the cam and lifters had to be replaced. I change oil every 3k and always have. They had a issue with the lifters, they revised the part and my truck got the new ones when they replaced it. Very common problem.

charliedawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO, This rings of over extended oil use.
Change your oil sooner, and this won't ever happen again. I still change my oil no later than 4k, and have never had any sort of engine failure in my life.
If you did indeed have worn lifters, expect your oil pressure to start dropping as the rods and mains are also worn.

I had receipts for an oil change every 5k miles. I also think it was the DOD/AFM that was the culprit in the engines from that time.

JohnC

Reaction score
To me, this speaks of GM trying to save money. Considering they are cutting the free oil changes and tire rotations from 4 to 2, the amount of profit wiped out in the last year of recalls, and whatever other profit was lost due to warranty work. Of course publicly, they won't admit that.

My current GM, as much as I love it, will be my last due to this move. Go to YouTube and search "2015 Tahoe Frame Rust." GM does not powdercoat their truck frames - they are wax dipped, which is not only more cost effective, but doesn't last nearly as long. Silverados and Sierras are having problems with this as well.

Did they use to powdercoat them before?? What time period?

Thanks!

LekGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM dealer service employee here. Here's the info I gathered regarding the warranty change.
A few thousand people surveyed after purchasing a new GM vehicle rated the 100k p/t warranty as the last reason they purchased the vehicle. Warranty claims are down on p/t items. GM is building a better vehicle. But mainly the extra cost of the p/t warranty was not generating a return on investment.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

I clearly remember customers saying "cars must be a pos if you need a warranty that long" or something of that nature when the warranty was put in place. Customer perceive a long warranty means there will be problems. Getting rid of the warranty will make them feel the quality is better therefore the warranty is no longer needed.

No offense dude...but that sounds like its directly from a GM marketing department. You sure you worked in service and not marketing?

I can't see anyone in the real world thinking with this logic! More miles in a warranty=good! All day every day no matter how you slice it. I for one read this thread and this was actually a very significant kick in my ass to buy a '15 instead of waiting for a '16.

I would imagine that a large percentage of these trucks (tahoes/suburbans/yukons/yukon xl's) are driven by moms (and dads) who's lives are busy and sometimes maintenance and upkeep gets pushed to the back burner. Having a 100k mile warranty gives me a piece of mind that GM will back their product and we can use it like we need to with a reassurance that it won't fall apart before its time.

Lets call it for what it is, its a cost cutting measure by GM. I for one understand, its business! Im not mad that they're doing it...hey, they have a better warranty right now than competitors (this was considered when I was researching). Fact is, they don't feel like they HAVE TO continue offering it, so they are not. Simple as that. As a consumer though...Ill definitely take 100k over 60k.

JohnC

Reaction score
No offense dude...but that sounds like its directly from a GM marketing department. You sure you worked in service and not marketing?

I can't see anyone in the real world thinking with this logic! More miles in a warranty=good! All day every day no matter how you slice it. I for one read this thread and this was actually a very significant kick in my ass to buy a '15 instead of waiting for a '16.

I would imagine that a large percentage of these trucks (tahoes/suburbans/yukons/yukon xl's) are driven by moms (and dads) who's lives are busy and sometimes maintenance and upkeep gets pushed to the back burner. Having a 100k mile warranty gives me a piece of mind that GM will back their product and we can use it like we need to with a reassurance that it won't fall apart before its time.

Lets call it for what it is, its a cost cutting measure by GM. I for one understand, its business! Im not mad that they're doing it...hey, they have a better warranty right now than competitors (this was considered when I was researching). Fact is, they don't feel like they HAVE TO continue offering it, so they are not. Simple as that. As a consumer though...Ill definitely take 100k over 60k.

I could not have said it better..

15GMCSLE

sometimes maintenance and upkeep gets pushed to the back burner.

As a 17 year veteran in the service department, always with GM, I can tell you putting your maintenance on the "back burner" is not a good idea and any subsequent problems resulting from lack of maintenance is not covered under any point in the warranty.

Also, the vehicles quality is better and it is not falling apart before it's time, and as i said before, the return on investment was low therefore it was cut as a business decision. BUT, a dealer loyal customer that maintains their vehicle, GM will always stand behind them and their vehicle. I do it every day. I don't want to start an argument or anything like that, I'm just passionate about my job and my brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork