SOLVED: Another misfire chasing threads (2008 express van)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At under 60k miles I would redo the top end and do the cam, every time I find bad lifter(s). I would have the heads freshened up. IMO, I would drop the pan and check for any debris in the pickup and do the o-ring while in there. Also, a new oil pressure sensor with the filter, right.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At under 60k miles I would redo the top end and do the cam, every time I find bad lifter(s). I would have the heads freshened up. IMO, I would drop the pan and check for any debris in the pickup and do the o-ring while in there. Also, a new oil pressure sensor with the filter, right.
Thoughts on this O ring? Was it improperly seated? I can’t find any damage on the o ring itself. But the red marking on the o ring are uneven on the tube

Also top end rebuild it is. I’m calling a few machine shops around me to see how fast I can get them done. Also trying to pull the cam as early as tomorrow morning to make sure the cam bearings didn’t get wiped out. That will be my deciding factor if I just buy a long block or rebuild the top and keep going because apparently the engine has to come out anyway to do the cam bearings
B3C1254F-F14D-4392-8ACB-2A8064194CC1.jpeg381B2587-B898-4EA0-8B35-C3E17EBE184D.jpeg09EC1211-72B2-4393-8348-9500C9A7690B.jpeg5569619A-F3E0-4D3A-8DC7-6FB659A02DA1.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I see no problems with the o-ring. Replace with new though and wash out the pick up tube or replace. Make sure the tube mount bracket is in great shape with no cracks. Check for ANY debris in the pan and clean as well. Do the oil sensor and the filter. When you do the heads, freshen up the valve seats and valve guides and seals. It is apart and is perfect time to do that, even with the low miles. GM or Fel Pro gasket kits, IMO. While you have it apart, freshen up anything that looks suspicious.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you'd want to go this route, but I saw a guy on CL in Montville NJ who's selling a 6.0 from a 2013 for $850. Doesn't mention the mileage. https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts/d/montville-2013-chevy-express-van-3500/7396672522.html
I think the 4.8 in my 05 is on it's way out too. Pretty positive there's a crack in the 862 head. I used some Blue Devil in it, but I know it's just a matter of time before it goes. Only has 153k on it too.
I’m not totally opposed to buying used. But I’m just so stuck on my van only having 42k miles when I bought it and apparently was either neglected or the high engine hours killed it. Or the fact that I didn’t address the oil issue a while ago….makes me weary of buying someone else’s engine with unknown history.

The experience of working on this van makes me want to get a new motor and never ever have to touch it again lol. But thanks for the link.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no problems with the o-ring. Replace with new though and wash out the pick up tube or replace. Make sure the tube mount bracket is in great shape with no cracks. Check for ANY debris in the pan and clean as well. Do the oil sensor and the filter. When you do the heads, freshen up the valve seats and valve guides and seals. It is apart and is perfect time to do that, even with the low miles. GM or Fel Pro gasket kits, IMO. While you have it apart, freshen up anything that looks suspicious.
I was considering the melling high output also comes with a new tube but im getting mixed reviews. Some say go high output and some say it won’t fix my problem. A local machine shop is even telling me that my heads will fail prematurely because the oil will shoot too hard and not oil my heads properly.

As far as where I’m at now. I’m pretty much replacing everything that I’m taking apart. As I never want to have to dig into this engine again. Working on the van is awful

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you think working on it is awful, try pulling the engine and reinstall another one. The whole front area comes apart to get it out. PITA. I personally pulled a small block 350 out of an older Chevy van years ago in one of my shops. I freakin' hated that beast.

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think working on it is awful, try pulling the engine and reinstall another one. The whole front area comes apart to get it out. PITA. I personally pulled a small block 350 out of an older Chevy van years ago in one of my shops. I freakin' hated that beast.
I’m not so much worried about taking the rad support out and srufff. It’s the fact that I really don’t think a cherry picker fits between the engine and the body of the van…

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It will fit but you have to be creative. I had to jack up and set the front end on small jack stands and stretch the picker arm out and then lift of the frame mounts and then remove the motor mounts on both sides and then roll out and coax with pry bars to wiggle it out and then back in. Again, PITA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645