So you are thinking about getting or already have a Tech II Clone or the real deal.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have fun with the evap test, there are some things you should know going into it
1. get a 12v dc external power adapter and plug it into a house outlet on the bottom of the tech2 not anywhere else
2. vehicle will need to be cold start, once it has been warmed up even a little bit it wont do the test until it cools off again
3. it has very specific instructions that must be followed including while testing the idle has be kept at a very specific range of rpm's or it will fail to do the test and you have start all over and if it has warmed up then you have to wait.
the reason you need the external 12v power is the evap test has to be done starting with the key off, when you start the vehicle it takes the voltage needed for the tech2 clone to run and the test fails instantly, if you have it plugged into a sperate house oultet this avoids the problem.
Thanks for the tips and tricks on that!
The unit I got from Chinacardiags.com does include the AC/12V power supply.

I also got the switched OBDII cable extension to make sure only the 12V source from the house is used. Not sure if I'll need that, but I figured I better just get it anyway.

I am sure I'll screw up the process and try several times, but I'll let you know how it goes and what I find...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and tricks on that!
The unit I got from Chinacardiags.com does include the AC/12V power supply.

I also got the switched OBDII cable extension to make sure only the 12V source from the house is used. Not sure if I'll need that, but I figured I better just get it anyway.

I am sure I'll screw up the process and try several times, but I'll let you know how it goes and what I find...
lol, exactly what happended to me figured I would maybe help someone else spare the frustration.
mine turned out to be the small solenoid on the intake

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the fake Tech 2 and I use it all the time when diagnosing something from 1996-2013. Comes in really handy with my 2007. Worth what I paid. I got one without the container, just the unit with the CAN Adapter. It is more than just a code reader, you can get readouts, it will give you misfire counts while running the vehicle, real time data is sometimes what you need to diagnose something.

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Tech2 myself. Its paid for itself in just taking the theftlock off 2 junkyard radios.

Still would like to find this bleed your brakes by yourself mentioned earlier.
Ask and you shall receive.
Using my 2003 Tahoe LT 4wd as an example here is the input to the tech II to get to the Automated Bleed function.

Diagnostics > 2003 >LD, Trk, MPV, Incomplete > Chassis > K > Equal to or under 8600 GVW > ABS > Special Functions > Automated Bleed

Then just follow onscreen instructions and make sure to keep master cylinder topped off!

George ZR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Tech II clone and the genuine Tech II are both diagnostic tools used for GM vehicles. However, there are some differences between the two.

The Tech II clone is a cheaper version of the genuine Tech II diagnostic tool that is made by third-party manufacturers. These clones are much cheaper than the genuine Tech II and can be found online at a fraction of the cost of the genuine product.

In summary, the Tech II clone may be a more affordable option

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Tech II clone and the genuine Tech II are both diagnostic tools used for GM vehicles. However, there are some differences between the two.

The Tech II clone is a cheaper version of the genuine Tech II diagnostic tool that is made by third-party manufacturers. These clones are much cheaper than the genuine Tech II and can be found online at a fraction of the cost of the genuine product.

In summary, the Tech II clone may be a more affordable option
welcome to the forum