So you are thinking about getting or already have a Tech II Clone or the real deal.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title states.....If you are thinking about getting one or already have then maybe youd like to look over the owners manual. The manual might help make your decision easier to buy a Tech II once you can see what all this beast will do.
Think you have a dead injector? You can turn on/off injectors one at a time to see if there is any difference in engine performance. Dont have a 2nd person to help bleed the brakes? No problem, the Tech II has an automatic brake bleed function (yesm you still have to crack the bleeders open). Replace your factory head unit with a rebuilt or salvage yard head unit, yup the Tech II will allow you to reset the security code on your radio head unit. Working on the a/c and not sure whats going on with it? The Tech II will show you what all the current logic states are and even allow you to manually toggle them for troubleshooting. Need to reset those pesky vent, blend doors? Yup Tech II will do that too. Cant figure out why the ABS light is on. Theres a ABS section also in there! Got some Transmission codes? Its in there. Need to see misfire data...for each cylinder? Its in there. Getting an intermittent problem that you just cant seem to catch with a scanner? Tech II will record data while you are driving and let you playback for torubleshooting issues. Wondering if PCM is commanding 2nd gear? Its all in there. Need to flash the PCM or BCM....yup you can do that too (with a paid GM subscription). And much much more. There are Youtube vids too!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like having tools as much as any gearhead. But I was having a hard time prioritizing $300 for a scan tool, when other things needing attention keep popping up on an 18 year old 200k mile vehicle.

I already had a mid-range Zurich scanner that could do ABS code reading. That tool was about $100 or so and did use it to successfully dive into a pesky ABS issue that pointed to the left front ABS sensor.

So many posts on the forum sung high praises for the Tech 2. "Do you have a Tech 2?" "Get a Tech 2!" "Know somebody with a Tech 2?" I figured they were nice to have someday, but still tough to pull the trigger and spend the money to go out and get it.

I did buy PDF versions of the FSM online. I knew the FSM would be critical to have for diagnosis. Having flipped through the FSM, I saw that the step-by-step diagnostic procedures are all written specifically for the Tech 2 scan tool. Look up the system having issues, follow the 1-2-3 Yes/no steps with the tool to find out what works and eventually what is not working in a logical process of elimination.

When I saw that the Tech 2 has the ability to "look at", monitor and manipulate practically every single component on the truck... I had to have it.

Really is a NO BRAINER. $300 to have the ability to diagnose all kinds of electrical and mechanical systems, often without even turning a wrench?! Best investment in the tool box ever!!

First time use was when I had a no-crank/no-start. I had been experiencing occasional issue, that I was thinking could be the Passlock II sensor on the ignition switch failing. I was lining up to replace the part. Then I was dead on the roadside. Grabbed my Tech 2 and was able to verify that the computer saw the ignition status in each of the positions as I turned the key. Off/On/Crank signal to the Tech 2. Passlock sensor on the ignition probably OK. Then I looked at the status of the transmission. I could verify the computer saw P/R/N/D/2/1 status each time. Probably not the Park/Neutral switch... Battery voltage was great. Not the battery. Must be starter with almost 200k miles on it. I narrowed down my issue before AAA got there with the flatbed to take me home. A couple hours later, I was back on the road.

I am so glad I did not drop $150+ for new Passlock ignition sensor! Paid for half my Tech 2 already!!

I plan to use mine next week to test the purge/vent on my EVAP system. Pesky tighten gas cap message and occasional EVAP leak code. I know it is not the cap. Tech 2 should tell me if I am able to create and hold pressure and vacuum or not, hopefully point to which part is not doing its job.

Last edited:

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could’ve saved $140 for a mode door actuator if I had tech 2, as the issue was really the hvac controller. However, I’m the superstitious type….if I get one now, my gmc will probably die, tech2 never to be used again, since the chance of me getting another tahoe/Yukon older than 2009 is very low. I’m very Leary about getting another used gm, inheriting someone else’s problems. I just don’t have good luck in that department, or in general. I’ve done many little repairs on our 02yukon with the info from this forum…best forum ever.

id like get a scantool that can be as useful as the tech2, but be used on other makes. still, Rockola (a great m1 carbine brand to get) makes a very compelling argument. the knowledge passed on to others here has been invaluable, and I thank you.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could’ve saved $140 for a mode door actuator if I had tech 2, as the issue was really the hvac controller. However, I’m the superstitious type….if I get one now, my gmc will probably die, tech2 never to be used again, since the chance of me getting another tahoe/Yukon older than 2009 is very low. I’m very Leary about getting another used gm, inheriting someone else’s problems. I just don’t have good luck in that department, or in general. I’ve done many little repairs on our 02yukon with the info from this forum…best forum ever.

id like get a scantool that can be as useful as the tech2, but be used on other makes. still, Rockola (a great m1 carbine brand to get) makes a very compelling argument. the knowledge passed on to others here has been invaluable, and I thank you.
The one Youtuber Scotty Kilmer uses a lot (Autel tablet) is bi-directional and can do a lot that the Tech 2 can do and still work on later models and other makes. Tech 2 can dig in just a bit deeper into controlling and testing some components on the GM, but something like the Autel tablet would still do a lot to help diagnose issues for you.

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So you are contemplating on getting a 2010 or newer GM vehicle.....No fear. They make the newest version which is called MDI for GM vehicles in a clone too. The difference (other than year compatibility) is that the MDI does NOT have a screen like the Tech II does. Instead the MDI hooks up to a laptop/desktop computer and your PC is your "screen". The MDI comes in a wifi model to make it wireless to the PC too. The MDI is cheaper than a Tech II also.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like having tools as much as any gearhead. But I was having a hard time prioritizing $300 for a scan tool, when other things needing attention keep popping up on an 18 year old 200k mile vehicle.

I already had a mid-range Zurich scanner that could do ABS code reading. That tool was about $100 or so and did use it to successfully dive into a pesky ABS issue that pointed to the left front ABS sensor.

So many posts on the forum sung high praises for the Tech 2. "Do you have a Tech 2?" "Get a Tech 2!" "Know somebody with a Tech 2?" I figured they were nice to have someday, but still tough to pull the trigger and spend the money to go out and get it.

I did buy PDF versions of the FSM online. I knew the FSM would be critical to have for diagnosis. Having flipped through the FSM, I saw that the step-by-step diagnostic procedures are all written specifically for the Tech 2 scan tool. Look up the system having issues, follow the 1-2-3 Yes/no steps with the tool to find out what works and eventually what is not working in a logical process of elimination.

When I saw that the Tech 2 has the ability to "look at", monitor and manipulate practically every single component on the truck... I had to have it.

Really is a NO BRAINER. $300 to have the ability to diagnose all kinds of electrical and mechanical systems, often without even turning a wrench?! Best investment in the tool box ever!!

First time use was when I had a no-crank/no-start. I had been experiencing occasional issue, that I was thinking could be the Passlock II sensor on the ignition switch failing. I was lining up to replace the part. Then I was dead on the roadside. Grabbed my Tech 2 and was able to verify that the computer saw the ignition status in each of the positions as I turned the key. Off/On/Crank signal to the Tech 2. Passlock sensor on the ignition probably OK. Then I looked at the status of the transmission. I could verify the computer saw P/R/N/D/2/1 status each time. Probably not the Park/Neutral switch... Battery voltage was great. Not the battery. Must be starter with almost 200k miles on it. I narrowed down my issue before AAA got there with the flatbed to take me home. A couple hours later, I was back on the road.

I am so glad I did not drop $150+ for new Passlock ignition sensor! Paid for half my Tech 2 already!!

I plan to use mine next week to test the purge/vent on my EVAP system. Pesky tighten gas cap message and occasional EVAP leak code. I know it is not the cap. Tech 2 should tell me if I am able to create and hold pressure and vacuum or not, hopefully point to which part is not doing its job.
have fun with the evap test, there are some things you should know going into it
1. get a 12v dc external power adapter and plug it into a house outlet on the bottom of the tech2 not anywhere else
2. vehicle will need to be cold start, once it has been warmed up even a little bit it wont do the test until it cools off again
3. it has very specific instructions that must be followed including while testing the idle has be kept at a very specific range of rpm's or it will fail to do the test and you have start all over and if it has warmed up then you have to wait.
the reason you need the external 12v power is the evap test has to be done starting with the key off, when you start the vehicle it takes the voltage needed for the tech2 clone to run and the test fails instantly, if you have it plugged into a sperate house oultet this avoids the problem.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Even if you spend the money on a Tech 2 it would be invaluable for the times you need it. I can't imagine it would be difficult to sell to someone on this forum when you're done with it.

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. This place is rampant with vultures.
Us boys and our toys. The best ones are the clowns that want to mess with their suspension height and cant be bothered with replacing 15+ yr old stabilizer bushings, control arm bushings and extend their shocks by 2ft and wonder why the road is so bumpy. Clowns I tell you. Lets not forget the 48" tires too! Stereo doesnt work, check engine light is on all the time but spend 5 grand on custom rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts