So this isn’t good, right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And an aside. Should my, what I think is the flywheel, be exposed to the elements like that?
the last pictures you provided are only of the drivers side
aside from that yes there should be a inspection plate over that hole in the bell housing, but what you want to do it look up in there with a tilting mirror and a flashlight and see if the rear main is leaking or not.
It could be the oil filter housing/gasket/block off plate.
under there oil blows all over everything so it can be really hard to say
you can spray some degreaser all over under there and pressure wash it and then drive it a bit and then look again for fresh oil.
no sign of transmission fluid even if it is over filled, that is a small oil leak

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Writefast unrelated but one of your exhaust manifold bolts is either missing or broken off.

Both of your pictures are from the driver side and your starter is on the passanger side. Your starter had oil dripping from it which has me curious.

On the driver side you have the oil filter and oil cooler that coil leak.

In the center you have the rear main seal, oil pressure sensor, and valley cover that could leak.

And then on both sides you have the valve covers that could leak.

There is supposed to be a little metal cover that pops in there and prevents the flywheel from being exposed like that.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles on it?

grab some brake clean and spray it all down.. best if you have an air compresor to blow dry, no worries if not. and then keep an eye on it.

from the look of it, I'd best money on oil pan gasket. gasket is fine but gm seals the corners with some kinda rtv that starts seeping and slowly gets worse..

you could check the oil block off plate above the filter, but watch out trying to snug bolts, they torque at such low spec is a little above finger tight lol and if you strip anything it makes everything a 100times harder.

OP
OP
Writefast

Writefast

Reaction score
the last pictures you provided are only of the drivers side
aside from that yes there should be a inspection plate over that hole in the bell housing, but what you want to do it look up in there with a tilting mirror and a flashlight and see if the rear main is leaking or not.
It could be the oil filter housing/gasket/block off plate.
under there oil blows all over everything so it can be really hard to say
you can spray some degreaser all over under there and pressure wash it and then drive it a bit and then look again for fresh oil.
no sign of transmission fluid even if it is over filled, that is a small oil leak
Roger that. Ill buy some degreaser and I have a telescoping mirror for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n