Snow chains/cables on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to head up to Mammoth for some fun in the snow in a few weeks. Part of getting ready involves the purchase of tire chains. I went through my owners manual to see what info it had to offer and find an entire page dedicated to why my rig can not have tire chains on it... at all! My questions is this: Has anyone in the forum used tire chains or cables on the 07+ Tahoe/Yukon? My Tahoe has the P275/55R20 tires. Seems clearance is the main reason for Chevy's recommendation not to use tire chains but after doing some online research I've found some low profile cable chains that may do the trick.

BTW, I'm new to the forum. Excited to see so many great topics here. I've learned a lot already.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 10.50.55 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 10.50.55 PM.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 17

gchristo27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see this thread is pretty old and there has been no response. I'm curious if you ever found an answer? I'm facing same issue

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve run low profile chains on my Denali with the factory 20” wheels, on the rears only. No problems though I made sure they were as snug as possible. There would be a clearance issue if your rear air suspension isn’t working and the backend was sagging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I see this thread is pretty old and there has been no response. I'm curious if you ever found an answer? I'm facing same issue

Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like the OP said, clearance can be an issue. That is why the cables are likely the best option. Plus when you drive with cables/chains on you don't drive like on dry pavement. Your speed is lower and therefore the rig reacts differently when on uneven road. Less jouncing, slower turns and vehicle speed is lower. It is a PITA, I know because I have chained up before here in Oregon in the passes, but you should use the cables/chains when you need to and then take them off as soon as you get to better roads.

NOSOK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have decent tires, you may not even need chains. I'm in CO and even in the mountains I rarely take the truck out of 2WD. The G80 makes for a very capable vehicle.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Here in Oregon, you have to chain up unless you have allowed tires and 4wd. They have the state troopers at the passes to watch for this.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have decent tires, you may not even need chains. I'm in CO and even in the mountains I rarely take the truck out of 2WD. The G80 makes for a very capable vehicle.

Yeah, this. I lived in Colorado for 10 years. Made plenty of trips up into the mountains in winter. Never used/needed chains. Good tires and 4wd are all you need.

Here in Oregon, you have to chain up unless you have allowed tires and 4wd. They have the state troopers at the passes to watch for this.

I find it very unlikely any agency is running "checkpoints" looking for the snowflake logo on car tires. In Colorado, the only way you'd get a ticket is if you got stuck on a main road or got into an accident. Again, in my 10 years in CO I never once saw any police/sheriff/highway patrol checking tires. Chain laws are generally geared towards the big rigs, not private passenger vehicles.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, this. I lived in Colorado for 10 years. Made plenty of trips up into the mountains in winter. Never used/needed chains. Good tires and 4wd are all you need.

I find it very unlikely any agency is running "checkpoints" looking for the snowflake logo on car tires. In Colorado, the only way you'd get a ticket is if you got stuck on a main road or got into an accident. Again, in my 10 years in CO I never once saw any police/sheriff/highway patrol checking tires. Chain laws are generally geared towards the big rigs, not private passenger vehicles.

Colorado has a "traction" law now for all motorists, similar to the chain laws for truckers. From Sept. 1 to May 31, the Traction Law is always active on I-70 from Dotsero to Morrison (essentially West Denver, through the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnels and over Vail Pass). It can also be activated for any other area that is experiencing slick conditions.

During winter storms, or when conditions require, CDOT will implement the Traction Law. During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:
  1. 4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
  2. Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  3. Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
  4. Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
  5. Chains or an alternative traction device
But as @intheburbs said, they don't really check them unless you're stuck or in an accident, drove off the road, etc.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Yea, I forgot to say that the ticket book comes out if you get stuck or cause an accident. I have even been in a caravan of vehicles where the troopers led us thru the pass.