Smoking and engine tapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new here so I just wanted to say hello and… HELP ME! I have an 04 tahoe with 245k miles on her. I have some multiple surgeries on her and I think we have the worst one yet. Literally 45 min ago I was driving (she hadn’t been driven in a couple months because I was over seas) and I was on the highway and all of a sudden there was a loud bang followed by smoke and loud ticking.

Everytime I turn her over she sounds like that and the smoking continues. Do any of you have a good idea of what it might be? I love this truck so much and I hate the idea of letting her go. Please let me know what I can do.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new here so I just wanted to say hello and… HELP ME! I have an 04 tahoe with 245k miles on her. I have some multiple surgeries on her and I think we have the worst one yet. Literally 45 min ago I was driving (she hadn’t been driven in a couple months because I was over seas) and I was on the highway and all of a sudden there was a loud bang followed by smoke and loud ticking.

Everytime I turn her over she sounds like that and the smoking continues. Do any of you have a good idea of what it might be? I love this truck so much and I hate the idea of letting her go. Please let me know what I can do.
Smoke from where? After it cooled down, have you checked the transmission fluid, engine coolant and engine oil? Have you pulled and inspected each spark plug?

I suggest that you do not start the engine until these things are checked to prevent any further damage. Welcome to the forum btw!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Need to check all fluids to see if any are contaminated or are lower than normal or higher than normal. Pull all plugs and post pics of them here and identify which cylinder they came out of. Do a compression test on all cylinders while all plugs are out. Smoke from where, like @swathdiver asked and any check engine lights at the dash or weird gauge readings?

OP
OP
J

Jbh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Smoke from where? After it cooled down, have you checked the transmission fluid, engine coolant and engine oil? Have you pulled and inspected each spark plug?

I suggest that you do not start the engine until these things are checked to prevent any further damage. Welcome to the forum btw!
The sound and the smoke is coming from the engine compartment. And all of the oil, coolant and transmission fluid were all good to go before I drove her, I haven’t checked the spark plugs yet though!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We need to know what the fluid levels are and what they look like after the problem. Don't care about before. Smoke from the rear, top, front, left or right side? Sound only when running and what is that sound and does it do it when cranking engine before starting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC