Smell of gas…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan5

Reaction score
Yea, sounds logical, although this vehicle has always started well - no fuel line pressure issues.

question for you… did you replace the fuel pump etc., on your own, or take it to a shop? I’m a pretty handy DIY’er but something like that I’d rather take it in to someone I trust, once I’m more certain the stink is caused at-or-near the fuel pump locale.

thanks for your observations! Dwayne

I did it myself. It's feels more daunting than it is. I watched a couple videos of someone dropping the tank and then went and did it. Honestly wasn't too hard. Once out replacing the pump is not hard.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Thanks Logan5, I might just try doing it myself. I had a 2001 Safari that needed a new fuel pump installed a few years back. The bill was ~$1,000 CDN - ouch! So if you say it can be done easily, I’ll pursue that. Cheers!

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
I did it myself. It's feels more daunting than it is. I watched a couple videos of someone dropping the tank and then went and did it. Honestly wasn't too hard. Once out replacing the pump is not hard.
hi again Logan5, some questions about dropping the tank - before dropping the tank, did you siphon off some gas first? Or did you just run the tank low? I’m definitely wanting to do this the safest way possible.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi again Logan5, some questions about dropping the tank - before dropping the tank, did you siphon off some gas first? Or did you just run the tank low? I’m definitely wanting to do this the safest way possible.
I have dropped two tanks. Both times I removed the filler nozzle and used that opening to stick a short length of garden hose into the tank, siphoned the gas into containers and poured it into my other vehicles. Once the fuel is out, the tank is easy for one person to handle. I used a piece of wood on top of a floor jack to lower it down. The bolts for the straps that hold it in place sometimes rust out along with the nuts/ clips so you should have new ones on hand. The evap lines and fuel lines have clips that can be a PIA but be patient and you’ll get it.

Logan5

Reaction score
I have dropped two tanks. Both times I removed the filler nozzle and used that opening to stick a short length of garden hose into the tank, siphoned the gas into containers and poured it into my other vehicles. Once the fuel is out, the tank is easy for one person to handle. I used a piece of wood on top of a floor jack to lower it down. The bolts for the straps that hold it in place sometimes rust out along with the nuts/ clips so you should have new ones on hand. The evap lines and fuel lines have clips that can be a PIA but be patient and you’ll get it.

This is the way.

Also drop the spare tire to give yourself more room. And you can get a little siphon pump very cheap.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
This is the way.

Also drop the spare tire to give yourself more room. And you can get a little siphon pump very cheap.
Good additional advice, thanks! I already have a siphon pump, but the spare tire makes a lot of sense. Cheers, Dwayne

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Ouch! … but mine is okay - I took someone’s steel garbage into a brand new Nokian winter tire a few months ago while on the highway. Found out the hard way how to change a tire in a winter storm with no shoulder to work on, while on a busy 2 lane rural highway.
The spare tire system worked well. I’ve changed a few over the years, just not on the Tahoe

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! … but mine is okay - I took someone’s steel garbage into a brand new Nokian winter tire a few months ago while on the highway. Found out the hard way how to change a tire in a winter storm with no shoulder to work on, while on a busy 2 lane rural highway.
The spare tire system worked well. I’ve changed a few over the years, just not on the Tahoe
WHile it is out, might be a good time to lube the heck out of the cable and mechanism. Silicone lubricants seem to dry out quick. I would probably use white lithium spray on it, if it were mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts