Smell of gas…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolexus

Reaction score
2005 Tahoe, 4WD: Been awhile since I’ve posted… recently drove home in a bad winter rain storm. Upon parking in garage, a noticeable gas door occurred. No ‘service engine’ warning, and no codes appeared using OBD (Sorry if I’m not using the correct vernacular). Gas tank was ~ 3/4 full.

Both of the AC Delco 214-1105 - Vapour Canister Purge Valve and 241-2149 Vapour Canister Vent Selonoid were replaced when code showed EVAP issue about 30 months ago. Also replaced the gas cap with AC Delco @ same time.

Didn’t drive it for a few days, but continued looking for possible gas leaks in and around tank, gas lines and under hood - found Nada - nothing, and made sure the gas cap was securely in place.

When the weather improved, took it for ~ 10 mile drive. The gas odour being emitted has disappeared (for now…).

if this problem re-occurs, does my one have any possible insight as to where I could specifically look for the source of the smell?

Read another post by StuckinMN, suggestions revolved around fuel pump mounting plate…

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Could be from the mount plate rust out but where is the rig located and salt on the roads? May have a rusted line too. Set park brake and let it run at idle and get dirty and check the entire system. Remember, lots of times, when fuel leaks, it cleans the immediate area.

Logan5

Reaction score
I had a hard to find fuel odor for a while. When I eventually found it it was the fuel pump. On the hard line before it connects to the plastic line. Had rusted a pinhole. That fuel pump sits down lower than the surrounding parts of the tank, so fuel can pool there and you won't see it until it gets real bad and runs over the edge.

Something I noticed when that was happening was when I went to start the car, if I put the key in and turned it straight to start quickly, the car would immediately crank but not immediately start. But if I turned the key slowly and let it stop at accessory to power up the electrical it would then start immediately when I turned to the key to start.

What I think was going on is the fuel line is pressurized even when the car was off, so next time I went to start a pressurized line lets the truck start immediately. Since I found the leak the truck starts immediately. But when I had a pinhole and the car sat overnight the line pressure would bleed out, and the next start it would take a moment for the pump to build up that fuel pressure that lets the car start.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gas or Flex Fuel? Different pumps and seals.

I replaced the fuel pump in my '04 a few years back and about a year later started smelling fumes after I pulled it in the garage. I typically run E85 so it was a very distinct odor. Turned out either the gasket was defective or we put a little wrinkle in it when we installed the pump. A new gasket fixed that.

Your pump has more of an o-ring gasket (unlike mine) so I wouldn't expect it to be the same. You may be able to view the pump and assess its condition through the left rear wheel well by removing the wheel liner and maybe another rubber splash. If you do get to the point of replacing the fuel pump, get a new fuel tank lock ring, just in case you need it.

Is there a lot of rust on the truck frame? Curious about the condition of the metal.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
I had a hard to find fuel odor for a while. When I eventually found it it was the fuel pump. On the hard line before it connects to the plastic line. Had rusted a pinhole. That fuel pump sits down lower than the surrounding parts of the tank, so fuel can pool there and you won't see it until it gets real bad and runs over the edge.

Something I noticed when that was happening was when I went to start the car, if I put the key in and turned it straight to start quickly, the car would immediately crank but not immediately start. But if I turned the key slowly and let it stop at accessory to power up the electrical it would then start immediately when I turned to the key to start.

What I think was going on is the fuel line is pressurized even when the car was off, so next time I went to start a pressurized line lets the truck start immediately. Since I found the leak the truck starts immediately. But when I had a pinhole and the car sat overnight the line pressure would bleed out, and the next start it would take a moment for the pump to build up that fuel pressure that lets the car start.
Yea, sounds logical, although this vehicle has always started well - no fuel line pressure issues.

question for you… did you replace the fuel pump etc., on your own, or take it to a shop? I’m a pretty handy DIY’er but something like that I’d rather take it in to someone I trust, once I’m more certain the stink is caused at-or-near the fuel pump locale.

thanks for your observations! Dwayne

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Could be from the mount plate rust out but where is the rig located and salt on the roads? May have a rusted line too. Set park brake and let it run at idle and get dirty and check the entire system. Remember, lots of times, when fuel leaks, it cleans the immediate area.
Hi OR VietVet! its always parked inside garage. Live in Vancouver, so salt use on roads is minimal at best. I really like your suggestion of park brake/idle and wait to see. Makes sense that it would be easier to see if it’s a live idling situation. As I said, I had a good look at the areas over a couple of days, but never while idling.

Will definitely try your suggestion! Thanks so much! Dwayne

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Gas or Flex Fuel? Different pumps and seals.

I replaced the fuel pump in my '04 a few years back and about a year later started smelling fumes after I pulled it in the garage. I typically run E85 so it was a very distinct odor. Turned out either the gasket was defective or we put a little wrinkle in it when we installed the pump. A new gasket fixed that.

Your pump has more of an o-ring gasket (unlike mine) so I wouldn't expect it to be the same. You may be able to view the pump and assess its condition through the left rear wheel well by removing the wheel liner and maybe another rubber splash. If you do get to the point of replacing the fuel pump, get a new fuel tank lock ring, just in case you need it.

Is there a lot of rust on the truck frame? Curious about the condition of the metal.
It’s gas on this 05. Got an excellent tip from MO VietVet about checking for leaks while it’s static and idling. I also like your suggestion about pulling the left rear wheel to examine the pump.

Even though this vehicle is currently in Vancouver and very limited salt use up here, previous owner did a lot of skiing, so commute to and from was on heavily salted roads - so some rust on frame… . I’ll be checking the entire fuel line route to see if any need replacing. Thanks for your suggestions! Cheers, Dwayne

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course visual inspection will be easy and cost nothing.
If you have a Tech 2 or bi-directional scan tool, you could also see if the fuel tank is holding pressure.
If unable to maintain pressure when commanded, you may have a leak in the top of the fuel pump, the gasket, filler or vent tubes.

Does it smell when you fill up?
I had a Ford Ranger. The fuel pump assembly had a steel plate on top. Rusted out. That was the extreme, but I found out when I filled the tank to the top and fuel poured onto the ground.

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
No smell when I fill, and I try to top it up beyond the click-stop by a few $, usually another 2-4 litres (CDN, eh? ). I’ll try your suggestion as well

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No smell when I fill, and I try to top it up beyond the click-stop by a few $, usually another 2-4 litres (CDN, eh? ). I’ll try your suggestion as well
If I was you, I would stop trying to "overfill" when getting fuel. That is gonna catch up to you and your evap system soon, if not already happening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic