Sluggish Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your C.E.L. is illuminated and your throwin multiple catalyst inefficiency codes, your hoe still has its cats and they're working.

Unless it's had someone go in with a program like hptuners and turn the code off. Or made O2 spoofs for the two post cat O2 sensors.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless it's had someone go in with a program like hptuners and turn the code off. Or made O2 spoofs for the two post cat O2 sensors.
I doubt it. It must still have them. I am really not sure. If it is the gearing, I can live with that. Sounds like the culprit.

Maximus1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.90 gears with factory wheels and I've been really happy with them. It really didn't affect my mileage too much. I still get over 300 miles per tank and cruising at 70 mph rpm's are at 2100. I tow my ski boat in the summer and I noticed a big improvement over the stock gears

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 3.90 gears with factory wheels and I've been really happy with them. It really didn't affect my mileage too much. I still get over 300 miles per tank and cruising at 70 mph rpm's are at 2100. I tow my ski boat in the summer and I noticed a big improvement over the stock gears

You regeared your rear end to 3.90?

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it appears you have done everything you can to hurt your performance. Wider, heavier tires for much more rolling weight to turn with the same axle ratio. Much more air moving under the vehicle which you have to overcome. Also, how is your oil consumption? Do you add any between changes? With 215K on the clock, you are surely getting blow-by and not getting all the compression on the firing stroke the motor originally had. Why don't you run a compression test to see what gives. My bet is that you need an overhaul of the top end, valve job, new rings, maybe cylinder honing, at the very least. Also, how fresh are your plugs and how long since your have run some B12 through the gas? Your injectors could be clogged. Also, if your tire diameter has changed materially, you might need to get a programmer and rest the tire diameter in the system so the transmission will shift properly and the speedometer and odometer will register properly, etc.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but it appears you have done everything you can to hurt your performance. Wider, heavier tires for much more rolling weight to turn with the same axle ratio. Much more air moving under the vehicle which you have to overcome. Also, how is your oil consumption? Do you add any between changes? With 215K on the clock, you are surely getting blow-by and not getting all the compression on the firing stroke the motor originally had. Why don't you run a compression test to see what gives. My bet is that you need an overhaul of the top end, valve job, new rings, maybe cylinder honing, at the very least. Also, how fresh are your plugs and how long since your have run some B12 through the gas? Your injectors could be clogged. Also, if your tire diameter has changed materially, you might need to get a programmer and rest the tire diameter in the system so the transmission will shift properly and the speedometer and odometer will register properly, etc.

I do consume some oil. I am not sure how much because I do have a leak. I may have to add a quart every 5k miles. Plugs and wires are about a year old. I will do a compression test soon and go ahead and replace the plugs while they are out. I run B12 about once a month. Also, I am holding out for a Black Bear Tune.

On a side note, I have been considering getting a used 6.0 and cleaning it up and replacing gaskets and seals and the bolt ons while the motor that I have is still good.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you should move up to 3.73 or even 4.10 gear ratio . You will definitely feel it awaken . Much more response

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike65