SiriusXM.... I have a signal problem / They are sending me a "gift"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got fed up with the signal - loss issues with my factory installed XM. ( 2005 Yukon). I finally called SiriusXM.
( What a language problem , but they did the best they could)..... I was trying to communicate to them if there was an alternative antenna, instead of a PROJECT to replace my roof antenna. Customer service was going to sell me the wrong model antenna. ....The second person I spoke with confirmed, the antenna they wanted me to order was the wrong model. ( Any correct versions are "out of stock").... > I gave up on the phone call<
I e-mailed XM, with my concerns. I got a phone call 20 minutes later !! They thought the age of my XM box was the issue.
They are sending me a new replacement XM box..... For FREE !! ( inc. free shipping ! )...

I'm impressed..... I'll up-date when it arrives.... And if the signal is improved, and the antenna was not the problem?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, can't imagine them having 16 year old hardware sitting around, I wonder what they are actually sending you....

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to pay for radio, but anytime I'm in the Tahoe it's on XM, sure miss it if I gave it up. And the streaming is handy too.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got fed up with the signal - loss issues with my factory installed XM. ( 2005 Yukon). I finally called SiriusXM.
( What a language problem , but they did the best they could)..... I was trying to communicate to them if there was an alternative antenna, instead of a PROJECT to replace my roof antenna. Customer service was going to sell me the wrong model antenna. ....The second person I spoke with confirmed, the antenna they wanted me to order was the wrong model. ( Any correct versions are "out of stock").... > I gave up on the phone call<
I e-mailed XM, with my concerns. I got a phone call 20 minutes later !! They thought the age of my XM box was the issue.
They are sending me a new replacement XM box..... For FREE !! ( inc. free shipping ! )...

I'm impressed..... I'll up-date when it arrives.... And if the signal is improved, and the antenna was not the problem?
Those jerks wanted to charge us $170 for six months so we cancelled. They sent us an offer, 5 years for $149 for the Sierra and wouldn't honor it for both trucks. Last week they sent an offer for the Yukon, it was still too much and my wife threw it in the trash. I kinda miss it but am enjoying some old CDs that were on the bottom of my console.

Looking forward to see what they send you!

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, can't imagine them having 16 year old hardware sitting around, I wonder what they are actually sending you....
They said I will be getting a new " updated" box.... One of my complaints was ....Whenever I entered a 'traffic light' controlled intersection, I would loose the signal. I think, that was one of the reasons they believe its the box, not the antenna. ( Again, we'll see)

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to this thread...... Within the next 2 weeks, I will be FINALLY installing my dash cam Guardian dual-camera with it hard-wired, and the OnStar replacement box that makes the factory phone system work, without OnStar subscription..... I found a auto audio guy installer ( who is semi-retired & comes to your home), to assist me in a clean install. :)

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update..... ( SiriusXM customer service sent me " the replacement box"... that was supposed to replace the factory box behind the glovebox... It was free).....
Again, due to the awful language issues, this is what they sent, as per photo.

I responded via e-mail, that the communication is a PROBLEM..... They answered back to call them again.... THIS TIME I talked to an agent in Canada....... We had an intelligent conversation finally)..

We determined, my signal loss was due to THE INTERNAL FILTER CHIP. The original filter chip was too sensitive. So they are sending me a "weaker filter" to stop the signal losses. Also included is an "Install Card", that I bring to an authorized Sirius installer, so the installer gets paid to access the XM box, and replace the filter chip inside the box...... at no cost to me.

They said to "just keep the wrong item"....

So,,,,, any of you complaining you have a bad antenna....... Call XM & request the free filter replacement & install card.... free.

Attachments

• KIMG2599.JPG
    KIMG2599.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 12

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a picture or part number of this filter chip they sent? My signal in my 04 is crap and I want to try this as well.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update..... ( SiriusXM customer service sent me " the replacement box"... that was supposed to replace the factory box behind the glovebox... It was free).....
Again, due to the awful language issues, this is what they sent, as per photo.

I responded via e-mail, that the communication is a PROBLEM..... They answered back to call them again.... THIS TIME I talked to an agent in Canada....... We had an intelligent conversation finally)..

We determined, my signal loss was due to THE INTERNAL FILTER CHIP. The original filter chip was too sensitive. So they are sending me a "weaker filter" to stop the signal losses. Also included is an "Install Card", that I bring to an authorized Sirius installer, so the installer gets paid to access the XM box, and replace the filter chip inside the box...... at no cost to me.

They said to "just keep the wrong item"....

So,,,,, any of you complaining you have a bad antenna....... Call XM & request the free filter replacement & install card.... free.
It's true that it is the filter in the XM receiver, but the issue is that it doesn't reject signals near the XM frequencies as well as other receivers. The problems started a few years ago when the FCC opened up some new frequencies for cellular that are adjacent to the XM bands and assigned them to TMobile. So, when you are close to a TMobile tower their signal interferes with the XM signal and the receiver can't pick it up. There has been a lawsuit going on for years over this, but at this point it is unlikely that anything useful will come of it.

What XM has, if you can find someone to talk to that knows about this, is an in-line filter that connects between the antenna and the receiver and attenuates these cellular signals so that the receiver can pick out the XM signal. My understanding is that the filter will do the job, and if you have the skills to get to the receiver behind the glovebox, you don't need to have an installer do it. I have wanted to get the filter for my Tahoe ever since I tracked down the issue, but getting someone on the phone at XM that knows about this is difficult.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to " use" the install card at the audio place for any warranty / future issues.
Here's the part... pn# WCSF1..... And yes, it attaches to the antenna line at the box.
When I get it installed next week, I may also have them switch out the OnStar box with the 'CoStar' box, since they are next to each other.
So, call XM ( ASK FOR AN AGENT IN THE US OR CANADA), and request the part. ( free when you complain about the signal loss)

Attachments

• KIMG2608.JPG
    KIMG2608.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 16
  • KIMG2609.JPG
    KIMG2609.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 16