SiriusXM.... I have a signal problem / They are sending me a "gift"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find a Costar? I just found out that our OnStar will not work after next year, as the cellular carriers are switching everything over to 4G and 5G, and OnStar units in GMT800s and GMT900s won't be able to connect. I use the OnStar in my Tahoe mainly for hands-free calling and would like to convert it with the Costar, but they have discontinued them. I was looking around for one yesterday, but nobody seems to have them in stock any longer.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in contact recently with <[email protected]>..... e-mail..
Re: the "BlueSTAR" box..... ( I asked if the pc - usb mini was still needed for the latest BlueSTAR box. Chris said all the latest updates are installed, so no updates required.
As of January1st 2020, no more boxes were manufactured.
( I was LUCKY to buy one of the last boxes made when hey made some more, so I got one last year, but no more left.....
Having said that, since the ONStar is going to be obsolete, maybe you can convince them to re-start a limited production again??

Last edited:

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. Since you just shared his email, I'll send him the link from GM warning OnStar users in pre-2015 vehicles that they will be losing the ability to connect to the cellular network next year.

Reaction score
Update..... ( SiriusXM customer service sent me " the replacement box"... that was supposed to replace the factory box behind the glovebox... It was free).....
Again, due to the awful language issues, this is what they sent, as per photo.

I responded via e-mail, that the communication is a PROBLEM..... They answered back to call them again.... THIS TIME I talked to an agent in Canada....... We had an intelligent conversation finally)..

We determined, my signal loss was due to THE INTERNAL FILTER CHIP. The original filter chip was too sensitive. So they are sending me a "weaker filter" to stop the signal losses. Also included is an "Install Card", that I bring to an authorized Sirius installer, so the installer gets paid to access the XM box, and replace the filter chip inside the box...... at no cost to me.

They said to "just keep the wrong item"....

So,,,,, any of you complaining you have a bad antenna....... Call XM & request the free filter replacement & install card.... free.
I get emails from them all the time saying that I can get this radio FREE, but it needs a new subscription to use it, lol

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned a bit more today about SiriusXM..... I got my bill for 2 vehicles......
( WHAT THE FU*K ??)

Called them..... The " amount due" is a "retail price".... After a long talk, and the agent allowing the 'specials', The prices went to the same price we paid every year. $232.02. ( including the invoice charge of $2.10 ).... Those crooks....
The problem is there is no competition. Since Sirius & XM combined themselves to 'control prices'.
I promised them... If the rate goes up one penny next year, I am canceling !!

Attachments

• KIMG2642.JPG
    KIMG2642.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
I received an email from them yesterday stating that starting Nov. 2nd the rates were going up.....

"Important Notice: Effective November 2, 2021, the standard rate for the Music & Entertainment Plan (formerly Select) and the Platinum Plan (formerly All Access) including the Family Friendly versions will increase by $1 per month. Audio packages which include music channels are subject to the U.S. Music Royalty Fee. The U.S. Music Royalty Fee is calculated based upon the price of your subscription package and will change accordingly. If you have any questions visit siriusxm.com/nov2021rates for more information. See our Customer Agreement for more information about our services, how to cancel and ways to contact us."

And that music royalties fee isn't shown/included in the plan pricing when you look at their plans online. For example, a plan might have a monthly price of $16, but that doesn't include the $4 royalties fee, so actually the plan price is like $20 per month, plus taxes

Last edited:
OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They treat the royalty fee like a 'tax'... It comes up after the amount of music channels your plan has.
Ask them what the specials are for discounts. ( They have to tell you )

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE : The SiriusXM filter ( in-line to antenna cable at box)......
It works. No more signal loss!! Whoopee ....
I had the installer put in the CoStar 'BlueStar' replacement box for my OnStar. ( It was easy , next to the XM at glovebox / I gave him $20 for the favor)......
I think my cell phone is 'connected', but I haven't tried it yet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned a bit more today about SiriusXM..... I got my bill for 2 vehicles......
( WHAT THE FU*K ??)

Called them..... The " amount due" is a "retail price".... After a long talk, and the agent allowing the 'specials', The prices went to the same price we paid every year. $232.02. ( including the invoice charge of $2.10 ).... Those crooks....
The problem is there is no competition. Since Sirius & XM combined themselves to 'control prices'.
I promised them... If the rate goes up one penny next year, I am canceling !!
They tried to trick me by charging the same as last year (about $160) in my renewal but the fine print said for six months and not a year! Then they send a card for $99 for three years or $150 for 5 for the Sierra and would not let me use it for the Yukon. A few months later they send a coupon in the mail for one year for $99. Better than I was paying before but not as good as the deal for the Sierra! Still listening to CDs! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore