Side view mirrors not closing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINALTOUCHFRI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it took a guy at the car wash to let me know that my side view mirrors close with a push of a button. I have had my 07 Tahoe LTZ for two years and didn't even know this. Problem is, they dont work when you hit the button. No sound No movement. Any ideas.

James Parker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having this same issue. My driver side mirror collapses, but my passenger mirror does not. The mirror itself moves when I reverse, but it won't collapse. You can hear the motor moving though.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it took a guy at the car wash to let me know that my side view mirrors close with a push of a button. I have had my 07 Tahoe LTZ for two years and didn't even know this. Problem is, they dont work when you hit the button. No sound No movement. Any ideas.
Could be motors, fuse, or switch.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gears which drive the folding of the mirrors are prone to failure, as they are plastic/nylon and fairly brittle. And then the motors themselves can fail as well. You can tell the gear is toast on a 'dead' mirror by pressing the folding button and then listening for the motor sound----sound but no movement = bad gear.

My driver side mirror has no power-folding capability remaining at all. Passenger side mirror power-folds inward but won't fold back outward. Not sure I care enough about this particular feature to buy new mirrors, and I'm not going to drive myself crazy tearing into the mirror bodies to replace the gears. Regardless, I still have the angle-down-during-reverse feature when activated. :)

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there isn't an easy fix for this it sounds like?
If the folding motors are the same for both sides, I may have one for sale. Somebody might have a part number we could verify it with.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the fix. It’s not hard. They even have a video on how to do it.

https://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenp...-2007-2014-gm-trucks-folding-mirror-assembly/

Here is a pic of the gears out some of my trucks.
3f13099def1ffd254372342491e1c0cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hey wondering if you can get me some information on the teeth etc.. i see a lot of METAL replacements gear things on ebay on the cheap
but i just needs the specs like sizes and teeth count etc

I know there is a lot of sellers trying to charge like $100 or $200 for these parts which is insane.. :( for a item that in reality is only worth 10$ or less.. bought from china. I don't use the folding part enough to justify spending that kind of money...only like 2 times in a week..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter