Shorty headers to replace rusted/rotted stock manifolds. Anyone done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my new to me 07 Escalade has a small exhaust leak on the driver side manifold. The stock manifolds look pretty rough so I'm figuring on replacing them with shorty headers since I'll need to take them off anyway.

The limited research I've done seems to point to Gibson headers. Anyone have experience with these as far as fit and durability? Any recommendations on other brands of shorty headers? The Gibsons I'm seeing in ceramic or stainless for a pretty reasonable $400.

Any experience as to how likely I'm going to run into breaking the exhaust manifold bolts? Seems to have been a problem on the previous generation LS engines (pre-07), I don't know if this is a problem on the current generation motors as well.

I'm not looking for big gains so long tubes aren't an option as I don't want to really modify the vehicle. I have other toys to satisfy the speed demon in me. The Escalade I just want to be a close to stock cruiser for hauling people and home improvement supplies home with.

The truck is stock with a B&B exhaust system that was on there when I purchased it. So the other question is, do shorty headers change the sound of the vehicle at all? I'm thinking it won't but don't have the experience of changing headers to know.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the same boat as you as I have one broken bolt already. When I free up some cash I've going to get a set of Doug Thorley shorties for mine. I still need to pass emissions so long tubes are out for me. I have a buddy who is a mechanic and is going to do the dirty work...and yes more studs will break off...or so I have been told. Shorties may make it a bit louder....didn't answer much for ya-sorry :Handshake:

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having pulled headers off of other LS-based motors in the past, the key is using a good penetrating lubricant before attempting to loosen the bolts. the bolts are steel and the heads are aluminum, so the use of dissimilar metals immediately calls for a little bit of special handling. you could try a few light taps on the end of the bolts before trying to loosen them as well.

my buddy has Gibson shortys on his GTO and they sound pretty good. the sound will change but, with a shorty over long tubes, it shouldn't be overbearing. post up some clips when you're done.

OP
OP
Wake

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on tapping the bolts, I hadn't thought of that. Penetrating oil is a definite. Since it is a pleasure use vehicle I can try to keep hitting it with the penetrating oil for a couple weeks before actually getting to the dirty work, I'm hoping that will help.

I'm also contemplating finally getting some air tools. I'm wondering if the hammering motion of an impact wrench may be a little safer than twisting the heads off the bolts with a hand tool.

I've got two of these jobs to do this spring/summer. My 07 STS-V needs new cats which come as a complete manifold assembly. I've got the replacement set already, I'm just not looking forward to the complications I might run into doing the swap.

I'm not too concerned with the sound, just don't want it to get loud or change the exhaust tone if I can help it. I can't see spending the money to put new stock manifolds back on which will do the same thing in a few years in the winter salt environment.

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to give you an idea on my 07 k2500 suburban with 120k on it.

I first went to do the collector gaskets at the base of my manifolds because they were leaking. One of 6 studs snapped. Talked with my buddies at american racing....they didn't have headers on the shelf for a 2500 so they offered to do the install and modifications for the 4l80 and midpipes etc. 2 bolts on each side sheared off at the upper flange.

soak the hell out of that thing, but plan on having some headaches.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time with short tube headers, you will get a bigger boost in low end power with a set of long tube headers. it is dyno proven.

OP
OP
Wake

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time with short tube headers, you will get a bigger boost in low end power with a set of long tube headers. it is dyno proven.

Not looking for gains, just want to replace the rusted, rotting manifolds with stainless or coated shortys. I can't see the sense of putting stock manifolds back on which will be rusted, pitting, and rotting in a few years again.

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Best there is.
Aerkroil creeping oil.

If 20$ is to much $$ for you. Imagine paying to pull a head, and have the broken stud drilled out.
20$ is suddenly cheap.

Send Big buttons a Pm, he still has a set of shortys forsale I think.

thanks for the tip. A coworker of mine swears by kroil. I think I'll get some of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA