Shop won't build dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheZappster99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Went to three different exhaust shops for a quote on a dual exhaust. When I mentioned dual exhaust, one shop immediately told me that he couldn't because the fuel tank was on the driver's side so he wouldn't be able to.

Master Muffler told me they couldn't do dual exhaust because the suspension is set up to the point of it being difficult to put two pipes over the axle and the size of the pipes that would fit would be too small anyways.

The third shop quoted me a very high price for a dual.

Anyone else ever had shops tell them they couldn't do duals? I know for a fact it can be done and isn't uncommon. Im not even looking for a true dual, just single inlet dual outlet muffler. Just kind of weird that everyone is telling me they can't do duals when you can literally buy them from flowmaster themselves.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you are miscommunications with the shops then. They are quoting you true duals. Two pipes all the way back. What you are talking about isn't a dual exhaust. It's a dual outlet.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They either don't understand exactly what you seek, or they do understand but don't want to do the work.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grab some internet pics of our model truck and the exhaust routed like you want and go back and show them

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find another shop, Any place with a pipe bender should easily be able to do the job. I paid $800 for a stainless cat back with dual side outlet at my local exhaust shop.

If you live in the rust belt stay away from the flowmaster kits unless they`re stainless because they`ll last about two to three years if you`re lucky.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
If a shop turns you down for something like that I would say you are better off finding someone else. yes true dual exhaust is doable but takes a lot of work and a good muffler shop could pull it off with little issue but most shops don't want to. The other thing is that going with true duals on these tucks with stock config will cause you to loose power.

If it was a good muffler shop they would have asked more questions and explained the difference to you if they did not understand you question. Another reason I would not use a shop that seemed that incompetent when you ask a question related to their area that they should be an expert on.

You should be able to get a dual exahaust cat back set up made for $300 depending on muffler and kind of pipe used. Spend a couple hunid more and get a bolt on kit to throw on in your front yard.

Steve A

Reaction score
Not sure why true duals on stock truck would lose power as any internal combustion engine is basically an air pump, more air through the engine more power. And part of that equation is the exhaust getting more out.
Don't know what year you're working on but my 96 Yukon has duals back to the muffler, stock from GM. The only change on it would be muffler back which would essentially be a cat-back system. Any decent exhaust shop should be able to do that.

Tom Kelley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I feel the reason most shops won't do what you want is because of the emission problems it can cause, then they are stuck with with the headache of fixing it. Today's vehicles are so sensitively 'tuned' that any modification to the exhaust, intake or anything else is almost sure to cause the check engine light or some other light to come on. Your engine, like all others, is designed to perform as it's supposed to from the factory. The "more air in, more air out" theory is true to some degree, but not when you're dealing with newer vehicles loded with sensors.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I got true duals and have no problem w emissions, my duals are all on the passenger side. The shop did have a hard time getting both pipes over the rear end especially because I lowered my Yukon 3".

Find another shop

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the reason most shops won't do what you want is because of the emission problems it can cause, then they are stuck with with the headache of fixing it. Today's vehicles are so sensitively 'tuned' that any modification to the exhaust, intake or anything else is almost sure to cause the check engine light or some other light to come on. Your engine, like all others, is designed to perform as it's supposed to from the factory. The "more air in, more air out" theory is true to some degree, but not when you're dealing with newer vehicles loded with sensors.

I haven't found this to be true, friend. I've modified the intake and exhaust on several vehicles over the years and have never experienced an issue with emissions testing----and I live in a very strict jurisdiction relative to emissions evaluations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC