Shocks/struts in the cold!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
So I need help looking for a good strut combination for the rear. I decided to post in this specific forum because it does have a 2inch level/lift under it currently.

It can get to -50° ambient where the Yukon is, it typically stays right around -20° though. I put some bilsteins in the front and back two years ago, the back rides so stiff. The front rides a little stiff but I plan on doing the coil over conversion to combat its front suspension.

Anyone have a good recommendation on a strut/shock that’ll work well in cold weather? I’m trying to get some of the bad ride out of the rear end.

I do plan on eventually going to a 4inch lift in total but pointing a way in a parts list for the struts/shocks would be awesome. Or if anyone has any experience in real cold weather, or recommendation on a specific part!

Look forward to hearing everything available thanks!

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rancho 9000XL are probably the best riding shocks out there and you can adjust them to what you need. They are affordable, have a large shock body and have a lifetime no questions warranty. If you live in the rust belt, you’ll need to lube the adjusters more often. You can adjust them from super soft to really stiff.

Although a good shock normally, Bilsteins are probably one of the most harsh riding shocks out there. Not surprising they are stiff in the winter.

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
Rancho 9000XL are probably the best riding shocks out there and you can adjust them to what you need. They are affordable, have a large shock body and have a lifetime no questions warranty. If you live in the rust belt, you’ll need to lube the adjusters more often. You can adjust them from super soft to really stiff.

Although a good shock normally, Bilsteins are probably one of the most harsh riding shocks out there. Not surprising they are stiff in the winter.

I’ll do some reading on the rancho’s and see. How they work out. This is my first set of shocks I’ve swapped in such cold and I am completely blown away at how harsh the ride is. I’m up in Alaska, by the ocean though so I do deal with some salt.

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just go back to the stocks, are the stocks that good ???
The Ranchos are great shocks. But I would also agree with @swathdiver that the factory shocks ride fantastic as well. You just get the adjustability with the Ranchos. You won’t find a better riding shock (Ranchos) without someone tuning a set of Kings, Bilsteins, or Fox’s. but then you’re looking at 3-5k for a set of shocks vs 4-500.

Ordo 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Agreed. Currently running those on my 06 Denali atm. Only gets to -20 for short stints here in Anchorage, AK, but no issues with them and the ride is legendary!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Z71 has original factory shocks. Bilsteins. Still ride great after 18 years and almost 210k miles!

OP
OP
G

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
Looking like I’m going to switching over to the rancho’s for the back. I like the option of adjustability.

My current set up is just too
Stiff in the winter months. Feels like I’m riding on bricks. Even aired the tires down to try and get a little softer run but that didn’t do much to it. Made it a little more tolerable but not much.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes, I appreciate the input and information!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beat Ta hoes