Service brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been dealing with issues that came up in rapid succession. I had a front ABS sensor that went out. Today I swapped that out with the correct AC Delco part. While changing this one out I noticed that the pads needed to be changed so I plan on doing that next weekend. While changing this sensor out I compressed the caliper pistons to ease the reinstall. When I got in the truck I started it and started pumping the brakes to return the piston to the correct position. While I was doing this the service brake system soon light and then the whole service traction system light came on. I have ordered the new pads, my question is once I replace the pads will this light turn off or is there something that has to be done to reset it? I cleared the abs codes with my scanner to clear the wheel speed sensor code but these lights remained.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not as this sounds like a pain in the ass and i don’t work on electronics. Also i don’t see how compressing the brake caliper would cause this all the sudden.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find this tech bulletin that was refered to on another site for this issue. #03-05-25-007C

It says if the speed sensor mounting surface isn’t throughly cleaned it can cause a gap issue. I am going to give this a try when I replace the pads.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find this tech bulletin that was refered to on another site for this issue. #03-05-25-007C

It says if the speed sensor mounting surface isn’t throughly cleaned it can cause a gap issue. I am going to give this a try when I replace the pads.
That is a possibility. Crusty surface can create enough of a gap to make the sensor go too far out of range.

Some sensors ship with or need shims to make sure they are not grinding on the tone ring. There is also a possibility that an old shim is stuck on the hub. If the new one has a shim on it, two shims could be a problem. Sensor would be too far away from the tone ring.
Make sure you check the surface when you scrub it with a wire brush. If there is an old shim stuck on the hub, you can flick it off with a flat screwdriver, metal scraper or even a knife blade.

If there is no old shim stuck on the hub, the new sensor does have a new shim on it and still not working... You can try the new sensor without the shim it came with. Just be sure to look and feel to make sure the sensor is not grinding on the tone ring. Just slip it in without bolting it in. Turn the hub by hand gently. If you can see the sensor move the slightest bit or you can feel the sensor vibrate with your finger touching the top of the sensor as you rotate the hub... Don't just bolt it in there and drive on it! If it contacts the tone ring without the shim, you definitely need a shim on there to provide clearance.

I did my ABS sensor and found there was, in fact, an old shim still stuck to the hub. I tried no shim and could actually feel the sensor making contact. I added the new shim and was good. For a while...

ABS codes and lights and chimes were pinging on the highway. I ignored those signs, not knowing any better. Eventually the hub completely fell apart.

Keep in mind this: Sometimes, what looks like a simple ABS speed sensor code can be the leading clue that a hub is about to fail. Excess play in the hub can get sloppy enough where the ABS sensors have a hard time picking up the tone ring. Maybe not your issue at all. Just file this cautionary message for the future. Anytime you get an ABS speed sensor code/light/chimes... Be sure to carefully inspect the hubs for excess play.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice! How much play should the sensor have? The original sensor had separated in the hole, I had to pull the outer plastic on the part in the hub out separately.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some additional research I believe it is the hub. I can get the Moog hub here by Friday so I plan to get this one, the AC Delco will not arrive until Monday...

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice! How much play should the sensor have? The original sensor had separated in the hole, I had to pull the outer plastic on the part in the hub out separately.
Sorry for the delay in reply... Close as possible, but not touching. Depending on the sensor, it may or may not need a shim.

Your new hub most likely comes with a new sensor pre-installed. If so, there should be no compatibility issues and be a plug-n-play install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts