Service brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I i stalled the new hub today. The old one definitely needed replacing as you could here the bearings rattling. I also installed the new pads. The old pads were just a hair away from the warning tabs. The brake feel is lot better. The Moog hub had the speed sensor installed so I didnt have to mess with that.. The lights and messages however are still there. I assume they would reset themselves if the problem was fixed. I checked and there is still no ABS error code. I tried to reset the codes with my scanner anyway but no change… Now more research I guess. I really thought the new hub would correct the problems as this set of lights only appeared after the previous sensor change.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some scanners will read but not clear ABS or ABS speed sensor codes.
If your scanner could clear the codes and there was still some issue, then the lights and messages would be off then come back on after clearing.

Do you know if the codes were actually cleared?

If the scanner is not able to clear them, then the stored codes might take a little driving to go away. They would still be stored, but not active anymore.

Is what you see active codes or just codes that have not cleared?

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I scanned for codes there weren’t any. There was originally a right front wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction code (C0040). I cleared that code last weekend when I installed the new sensor. I drove the truck approximately 100 miles last week then swapped the hub. I then checked for any abs code and there was not one present. I drove the truck maybe 10 miles yesterday to see it the light would clear but it did not. I wonder if that was not enough. The light came one last weekend as soon as I hit the brake pedal to pump up the brakes after compressing the brake caliper. It comes on as soon as you start the truck it never went away. No new code ever appeared. When I scan it, it shows no code currently.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have been thinking about this. Could there be air in the line/abs controller from compressing the brake caliper pistons somehow? The passenger side pads installed without issue. When i installed the drivers side pads last weekend, i compressed the caliper pistons and it caused fluid to flower from the master cylinder fill cap. I thought this was odd but thought since the caliper pistons were extended that it may have caused me to add more fluid at some point.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
So i have been thinking about this. Could there be air in the line/abs controller from compressing the brake caliper pistons somehow? The passenger side pads installed without issue. When i installed the drivers side pads last weekend, i compressed the caliper pistons and it caused fluid to flower from the master cylinder fill cap. I thought this was odd but thought since the caliper pistons were extended that it may have caused me to add more fluid at some point.
That's normal. When the pads wear out the oil gets low and if you Indeed added oil at one point installing the new pads would have caused the oil to over fill the reservoir.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I scanned for codes there weren’t any. There was originally a right front wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction code (C0040). I cleared that code last weekend when I installed the new sensor. I drove the truck approximately 100 miles last week then swapped the hub. I then checked for any abs code and there was not one present. I drove the truck maybe 10 miles yesterday to see it the light would clear but it did not. I wonder if that was not enough. The light came one last weekend as soon as I hit the brake pedal to pump up the brakes after compressing the brake caliper. It comes on as soon as you start the truck it never went away. No new code ever appeared. When I scan it, it shows no code currently.
please clarify if there is only "service brakes" message or ABS light on AND "service brakes" message.
no abs light denotes a different condition.
1. brake fluid level sensor bad
2. prop valve stuck
even a tech2 would only show" service brake ill yes/no" in the readout for this condition
if there is no ABS light on then try unplugging the brake fluid sensor
the service brakes message should go away, this would confirm the 2 possibilities above
if then testing the brake fluid sensor operation or replacing the brake fluid sensor does not correct the issue try doing several emergency stops over a few days, preferably on gravel, this can possibly un-stick the prop valve and correct the issue.
my 03 prop valve got stuck doing the same thing, in my case I had just finished doing the brakes and I had forgot to pump the brake pedal and drove off then realizing I had no brakes I stomped on the pedal, this caused a immediate "service brakes" condition.
after digging around the internet quit a bit I found the above information to be accurate and confirmed with my tech2, I did a number of emergency stops over a couple days and on the 3rd day when I started it up the message was gone
now i make sure to slowly give it pedal after doing brakes until they are pumped back up.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
please clarify if there is only "service brakes" message or ABS light on AND "service brakes" message.
no abs light denotes a different condition.
1. brake fluid level sensor bad
2. prop valve stuck
even a tech2 would only show" service brake ill yes/no" in the readout for this condition
if there is no ABS light on then try unplugging the brake fluid sensor
the service brakes message should go away, this would confirm the 2 possibilities above
if then testing the brake fluid sensor operation or replacing the brake fluid sensor does not correct the issue try doing several emergency stops over a few days, preferably on gravel, this can possibly un-stick the prop valve and correct the issue.
my 03 prop valve got stuck doing the same thing, in my case I had just finished doing the brakes and I had forgot to pump the brake pedal and drove off then realizing I had no brakes I stomped on the pedal, this caused a immediate "service brakes" condition.
after digging around the internet quit a bit I found the above information to be accurate and confirmed with my tech2, I did a number of emergency stops over a couple days and on the 3rd day when I started it up the message was gone
now i make sure to slowly give it pedal after doing brakes until they are pumped back up.
The abs light is on as well. You described the exact scenario that happened with me. I forgot to pump the brakes before putting it in gear. So i should try some emergency stops?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The abs light is on as well. You described the exact scenario that happened with me. I forgot to pump the brakes before putting it in gear. So i should try some emergency stops?
abs light means there is a different problem then, you need to pull the code with a scanner that can read abs, most of the cheapy ones and bluetooth ones will not read abs codes.
you need one that specifically states it can read abs, because abs and obd are different, so is srs (airbag).
if you bled the brakes at any point it's possible there could be air trapped in the abs pump

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not bled the brakes. My new XTool scanner doesnt show any abs codes for some reason. I will try it again this weekend. In the meantime, the brakes function without issue and the pedal feels fine.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this, my old scanner (an Innova scanner with abs reader) didn't read a code either after I cleared the original speed sensor. The light doesn’t come o. Until I start the truck. I wonder if I need to scan with the truck running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC