Seafoam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peterj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've seafoamed my 07 LTZ at around 90,000. I did notice a difference in performance but I think the engine wasn't too dirty as I drove it kind of hard. My wife's Jetta; on the other hand, showed huge improvement! There was a lot more smoke out of her car and she drives it pretty much in town.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not what the can says.

Sea Foam will thin out your oil. First put it in three has tank. Then, put it in the oil. Finally, pour it into the vacuum line while the engine is running. Once all the Sea Foam had been poured in go for an ready drive and avoid accelerating hard. About a fifteen minute drive around the neighborhood will do to get the smoke to disappear. Once your truck is done smoking turn it off and begin the oil change.

I followed the how-to on seafoam on LS1tech when I did it to my camaro at about 90k.
I ran it for about 150mi in the crankcase and gas tank, then did the top end treatment thru the brake vaccuum line until the engine stalls out. Let it sit 10 minutes to break down the carbon deposits. Then fire it up and drive the shit out of it (WOT pulls) for a few miles.
Smokes like a coal train for a couple of miles burning out all the carbon.
Afterwards the car ran smoother and performance picked up a little. It wasn't night and day like adding a supercharger or anything, but worth the $12 or so the seafoam cost.

P.S.- Here is a good write up (it's from a nissan site but it's the same for everything once you know where your brake booster hose is). http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to-use-seafoam-to-clean-your-engine-the-right-way.html

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use 2 cans. 1 full can into gas tank regardless of the amount of gas. 1/2 can into brake booster, 1/2 can into oil. sometimes i even clean my throttle body with some if i have a little left over and dump it down the intake. do the oil first and do the gas/vacuum right before you shut it off to do the oil change. seafoam is flammable so its not going to make a difference in the fuel. i let it run for about 10 minutes give it a flew light revs (2500 rpm) before i do the oil change. let the truck sit for 15-20 minutes while you do the oil change and be ready to smoke out your neighborhood

jcrack_corn

Reaction score
seafoam is snake oil.

modern EFI IC engines require no cleaning/additives/etc.

any "black smoke" you see out of the exhaust is simply a rich condition.

any white/other smoke (assuming you dont have a blown head gasket) is simply byproducts of burning this stuff (for compounds not subject to catalysis).

further, in the RARE event that a modern engine has been so neglected that it actually has gunk, carbon built up, it is only an issue if it is on valve seats. in that case there is nothing you can put in it that will help, you would need to run straight solvent as your oil (not recommended). I would expect this to be an issue at > 150k miles, if at all.

the entire line of GM truck engines is bulletproof. change the oil at appropriate intervals.

do less.

I would be very concerned about sending these snake oils through the engine management sensors and catalytics.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
Rotflmao

GMs engine lineup is anything but bulletproof. Just look into the engine oil consumption issues that are plaguing all of the V8s since MY2007. Every single one of them is included in the TSB. GM has no idea what the problem is. Their first thing to do is a simple crankcase cleaning that takes 2.5-3 hours and have the customer log when the vehicle is low on oil. As for the other engines, since all of their engines are going to direct injection their is a known problem called coking. Look into this stuff and you'll see what I say is true.

If GM is using an engine cleaner to address an oil consumption issue, then I would think the last thing they are doing is using snake oil on bulletproof engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fpd262