Sea foam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh- got the inside vacuumed, the windows washed, and the oil+filter replaced at Jiffy Lube on Rose Hill for $31. I couldn't have done it myself for that, if you figure my time at $5/hour. Win!!

Dude, Jiffy Lube and Win don't belong in the same sentence--using those places is playing Russian Roulette with your engine. I've seen so many crazy horror stories about quick-lube shops of all types... From the most benign (forgetting to put the fill cap back on) to modestly bad (using the wrong weight or type of oil; cross-threading the drain plug) to catastrophic (under-filling or NOT filling the oil). Only way I would use one of those is if 1) I was desperate, and 2) if I was watching over the entire process start to finish.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my bad experience with Jiffy lube. They didn't tighten the drain plug enough. I drove the truck home parked in the driveway, came out a couple of hours later and had a giant oil spill in the driveway. The wife was pissed! What if I had driven the truck out of town or something.

OP
OP
roadrageror

roadrageror

ROADRAGEROR
Reaction score
just got back from lube X and found out my t-case is leaking from the front drive shaft..its only been 3 months since i got a new(re-manufactured) tranny and t-case.not overly happy rite now.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
I don't trust any mechanic. I stayed in the aisle the whole time, just watching. My hoe blew oil everywhere when they uncorked her- it was really funny. But I'm with you.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i ran the foam through the camaro and smoke screened the highway with it. haven't had a chance to do the hoe yet.

i didn't put it in the oil, just the gas and vac line. its suggested you change the plugs after you run the tank of gas. gums up the plugs with all the trash its getting rid of.

Dr. Overkill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its suggested you change the plugs after you run the tank of gas. gums up the plugs with all the trash its getting rid of.

Ah, that's the first time I'd heard of that. The mfr doesn't say anything about it, but I suspect many users have found that out the hard way.

That's a sobering thought. I *really* don't want to change plugs yet. This Seafoam job just went from easy to something of a PITA.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i had a great time changing the plugs on the camaro around the manifolds, the truck is almost worse with the headers on it.

Street33

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1998 Tahoe 5.7 Sea Foam FYI -

You can use Sea Foam as often as you would like because Sea Foam is a petroleum blend with no harsh chemicals.However on that application, a 98 Tahoe with the vortec 5.7 engine with CPI ,the vacuum source on that engine only feeds the back two cylinders.So the other 6 cylinders get no benefit by inducing Sea Foam into a vacuum line.On that engine we recommend only using Sea Foam in the fuel @ 1 oz per gallon.You will get the same benefit to all cylinders using Sea Foam in the fuel and will clean the injectors also when using in the fuel as you drive.
Jim Davis
Sea Foam Sales Co.
Technical Service Manager
ASE Certified Auto Technician

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
808JAM