How many miles???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZEUS1

Reaction score
Throwing out this conversation topic.

The last 2 months my wife's 99 burb with 310K has been eating a bunch of parts.

In December, it decided to shred the pinion in the rear end. (I started a thread on this project) During that rebuild i noticed a heater hose leaking, replaced the hoses, the Connecting "Y" heater valve, ect., everything crumbled when i disassembled. It made it 4 days after that repair and the AC compressor bearings went out, I installed a by pass pulley as a temp fix. Now i have a power steering pump squeak, so i suspect that will be next. Before this string of bad luck, this has been a great vehicle for her. We have put 170K on it only replacing brakes, front end parts, and other common wear items.

In your experience how many miles before the reliability ends and the repairs start?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of miles, you got your money worth for sure! Generally, most of my stuff is out of my stable by 250k. But, that being said, I usually don't have to do a lot of stuff. Your basic maintenance items like suspension, fluids, filters, brakes, tires, etc. The occasional electrical gremlin. I try to be proactive and catch things before they become an issue, but that doesn't always work.

My thought is if the truck is clean (rust free) and you enjoy it, then it's cheaper than a new one. You can get a lot of maintenance items wrapped up for a few of the new car payments on these overpriced rigs.

But, if it's starting to rust out, then your list of "what will break next" increases exponentially in my experience. Not to mention all the other things that may need to be replaced because of 1 item that failed due to the nature of corrosion.

OP
OP
ZEUS1

ZEUS1

Reaction score
That's a lot of miles, you got your money worth for sure! Generally, most of my stuff is out of my stable by 250k. But, that being said, I usually don't have to do a lot of stuff. Your basic maintenance items like suspension, fluids, filters, brakes, tires, etc. The occasional electrical gremlin. I try to be proactive and catch things before they become an issue, but that doesn't always work.

My thought is if the truck is clean (rust free) and you enjoy it, then it's cheaper than a new one. You can get a lot of maintenance items wrapped up for a few of the new car payments on these overpriced rigs.

But, if it's starting to rust out, then your list of "what will break next" increases exponentially in my experience. Not to mention all the other things that may need to be replaced because of 1 item that failed due to the nature of corrosion.
i agree, i will maintain and repair as needed, rather than a huge monthly payment. Rust does not bother me, i am planning to learn how to do the repairs. The burb does have one spot under the rear ac condenser, but other than that she is pretty clean for an old girl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar