Scanner Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuscan Ranch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I already have a code reader (Innova 3020) but would like to upgrade to something more advanced with two-way functionality. Suggestion are welcomed.
Also, does the 2007 Tahoe Z71 use the GMLAN protocol or ODB2?

Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have a code reader (Innova 3020) but would like to upgrade to something more advanced with two-way functionality. Suggestion are welcomed.
Also, does the 2007 Tahoe Z71 use the GMLAN protocol or ODB2?

Thanks!
GMLAN, we use a Tech2 with the CanDi to talk to all the modules and interact with them.

Someone mentioned this one the other day but don't know anyone that's bought one yet:

Still love my Tech-2 for working on these GMT900s!

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an AUTEL brand of scanners/bi directional starting at about
$700 depending on what features you want. They have a "store" on amazon
with good/ helpful info

OP
OP
T

Tuscan Ranch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For those not in the know, often auto manufacturers will extend exiting protocol like ISO 9141, J1850 PWM, Keyword 2000, CAN, and VPW.

Tech2 is a hand scanner based on GMLAN which is a set of high level protocols for diagnosing ECU systems on supported vehicles. There are more than 20 different commands for reading,writing, and clearing information inside an ECU. GMLAN is a combination of GM2190 and Keyword 2000 diagnostics. All functions are defined in GMW 3110. GMLAN uses functions from ISO15765-2 (USDT Messaging) and supports OBD CAN, legislated by J1979 Requirement.

GMLAN has been extended with additional requirements and is often referred to as GM Global A. Global A includes many types of networks and protocols.

As for tools/scanner, Innova is the largest American company for these type of tools. Top line models with Full feature set are 5160, 5160RS (new model), and 7111 (tablet). I've seen them 2nd hand for $150 to $400.

I looked at Launch brand (linked above) but wanted something HQ here.

If you liked this post, please give it a big thumbs up!

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those not in the know, often auto manufacturers will extend exiting protocol like ISO 9141, J1850 PWM, Keyword 2000, CAN, and VPW.

Tech2 is a hand scanner based on GMLAN which is a set of high level protocols for diagnosing ECU systems on supported vehicles. There are more than 20 different commands for reading,writing, and clearing information inside an ECU. GMLAN is a combination of GM2190 and Keyword 2000 diagnostics. All functions are defined in GMW 3110. GMLAN uses functions from ISO15765-2 (USDT Messaging) and supports OBD CAN, legislated by J1979 Requirement.

GMLAN has been extended with additional requirements and is often referred to as GM Global A. Global A includes many types of networks and protocols.

As for tools/scanner, Innova is the largest American company for these type of tools. Top line models with Full feature set are 5160, 5160RS (new model), and 7111 (tablet). I've seen them 2nd hand for $150 to $400.

is this the new way spam works? you ask a commonly asked question, wait for a few replies and then paste an ad for your products?

bots are getting good enough to be properly annoying.

to anyone else that see this thread. I've used a ton of different scanner over the years and unless you need to flash software updates to different modules in your truck, just buy a clone tech 2. it's the best 275$ you'll ever spend if you have any desire to fix things yourself, or understand what's being fixed on your truck. everything else that's any good will be 3 times that and do less. I've got a 2500$ work scanner that while it will work on a wide range of manufacturers, it doesn't do as much as a under 300$ tech 2 does.

just buy it.

OP
OP
T

Tuscan Ranch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
is this the new way spam works? you ask a commonly asked question, wait for a few replies and then paste an ad for your products?

bots are getting good enough to be properly annoying.

to anyone else that see this thread. I've used a ton of different scanner over the years and unless you need to flash software updates to different modules in your truck, just buy a clone tech 2. it's the best 275$ you'll ever spend if you have any desire to fix things yourself, or understand what's being fixed on your truck. everything else that's any good will be 3 times that and do less. I've got a 2500$ work scanner that while it will work on a wide range of manufacturers, it doesn't do as much as a under 300$ tech 2 does.

just buy it.

Bad day? That’s ok we all have them. Even us bots. At least our language skillls have improved to fool the bags of water.

When I posted the only thing that I knew about OBD was that it’s a computer interface for diagnostics.

The link led me to Amazon which was a waste due to the lack of quality information and filled with overseas crap.

My intent Brandon was just to share what I learned. Sorry I offended you.

Peace

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the tech2 is a J2534 Compatible device, so is the MDI, MDI ii, vcx-nano and others, the tech2 can be connected to the vehicle and to a computer to act as a pass thru device to load calibrations to modules in the vehicle. for instance if you replace various modules they will not work unless they are learned to the vin of the vehicle. you can use "used" or "new" modules either way certain modules require a re-learn to the vehicle vin, some can be done with just the tech2 standalone and some require a more advanced procedure using gm software online (for a fee)
J2534 is a standard used by all manufactures

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigburb3500