"Safe" years for afm/stabilitrack/etc on the 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully intended to buy an '11 today. Looked fantastic on the outside and the interior was real clean...

Water stained rear headliner, new eibach shocks and springs in the rear, and a real wet cross member to include freshly dripping oil...pass. also the exhaust manifolds were the most rusty corroded flaky piles of purple rust I've ever seen.

But man the 6.2 was leagues better than my 5.3. I literally thought about just spending 10k and building my tahoe...6.2, trans, axles...tvs...lol

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fully intended to buy an '11 today. Looked fantastic on the outside and the interior was real clean...

Water stained rear headliner, new eibach shocks and springs in the rear, and a real wet cross member to include freshly dripping oil...pass. also the exhaust manifolds were the most rusty corroded flaky piles of purple rust I've ever seen.

But man the 6.2 was leagues better than my 5.3. I literally thought about just spending 10k and building my tahoe...6.2, trans, axles...tvs...lol
Keeping looking! I’ve been looking at both Denali xl trucks and Escalade ESVs since November and there’s a ton of clean trucks out there for sale. Be patient and find the right one. It’ll happen!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With trucks like that you ought to consider negotiating for a lower price or for the issues to be fixed. Dealerships will be more likely to make the necessary repairs as part of negotiation.

2012 and on will have some refinements like Hill Start Assist, an improved navigation unit and improvements for towing (Trailer Sway Control) and cruise control functions. Escalades did not get the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
With trucks like that you ought to consider negotiating for a lower price or for the issues to be fixed. Dealerships will be more likely to make the necessary repairs as part of negotiation.

2012 and on will have some refinements like Hill Start Assist, an improved navigation unit and improvements for towing (Trailer Sway Control) and cruise control functions. Escalades did not get the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller.

Just a question, How can the tow vehicle possibly control sway? tell me it isnt with suspension dampening?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s definitely a lot of information on the AFM NNBS series. The trend is to disable it or acknowledge it by sticking to the maintenance intervals.
if my engine goes out i'll just put a 4.8 Liter engine and tras (will need a new drive shaft and radiator.)in it.. (they made a flex fuel right?) ECM etc...

I'm mostly worried about the A/C system not working since it's electrical.

then change the badge to a LT

even if it cost 5-6k it will still be totally worth it..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question, How can the tow vehicle possibly control sway? tell me it isnt with suspension dampening?

It's part of the Stabilitrak system (2012+), controlled by the ABS pump, locking and unlocking each wheel as necessary to regain control. It will also apply the trailer's brakes if the tow vehicles has the integrated trailer brake controller and can also reduce engine speed.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's part of the Stabilitrak system (2012+), controlled by the ABS pump, locking and unlocking each wheels as necessary to regain control. It will also apply the trailer's brakes if the tow vehicles has the integrated trailer brake controller and can also reduce engine speed.

Huh. Had NO idea. And here all this time I’ve been turning off Stabilitrak when towing with my 2012. I even have the integrated brake controller, so from now on I will leave Stabilitrak on. Thank you, James!

We really should have a sticky thread for towing knowledge and mods for these rigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that we don't have the towing and 2500 differences as a sticky. Thats a ton of work for someone using a phone tho...

I definitely could have negotiated for the issues but I didn't want to deal with it. A few too many red flags or just crap I didn't want the hassle of...altho I could have slapped on some long tubes; I've never seen manifolds that bad

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's crazy that we don't have the towing and 2500 differences as a sticky. Thats a ton of work for someone using a phone tho...

I definitely could have negotiated for the issues but I didn't want to deal with it. A few too many red flags or just crap I didn't want the hassle of...altho I could have slapped on some long tubes; I've never seen manifolds that bad
This is wise. Spend a little more money and get one that has an excellent maintenance history, and nothing needed. I often find buying from a private owner who takes care of their stuff is the best option.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is wise. Spend a little more money and get one that has an excellent maintenance history, and nothing needed. I often find buying from a private owner who takes care of their stuff is the best option.

Most of the time this is true, but just because a vehicle has excellent maintenance history, doesn't mean much if something like a valve seat comes apart and trashes the motor. Most times, private owners have sentimental attachments and often want to sell for a MUCH higher amount because of what money they spent on it. They feel entitled to raise the price of a vehicle worth $10k to 15K just because they put tires and did maintenance to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu