Sad day.. pretty sure my transmission went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty bummed and also horrible timing. We are taking a vacation next week, about an 8 hour drive.

All was fine. Was getting the truck all nice and clean and ready to go. Went thru the car wash...went on the interstate and no 3rd or 4th gear.
Doesnt go into neutral, just stays in 2nd gear and there are no codes at all.
Thing always shifted fine, never slipped or had issues. Never gave any warning either it just happened.

Dropped her off at a transmission shop, awaiting to see what they say. Sucks cuz of A... the timing... and B... I'm taking good care of this truck and when the trans did go out i wanted to do my own rebuild and spend some good money on the valve body to beef it up so itll last much longer.

Oh well.. :(

Ill let u guys know what they say.
Maybe ill get lucky and itll just be the 3-4 solenoid [emoji23][emoji23]45bfd2e0928c6fc8952dd6047128adfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, didn't think you were the kind of guy to be blowing trannys.

In all seriousness that sucks maybe its something simple.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] i mean... im pretty open about stuff but there are limits [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

And yeah sucks. Hopefully they call me soon today

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happened immediately after the car wash then maybe then maybe they are related. If you got the undercarriage wash that water comes out pretty forcefully. Keep your hopes up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it happened immediately after the car wash then maybe then maybe they are related. If you got the undercarriage wash that water comes out pretty forcefully. Keep your hopes up.

Yeah, but you know how most of those shops are, "it's blown up, needs a total rebuild, shavings everywhere...". Few will tell you it's this specific part and give you the option of replacing just that or do the whole thing.

I would imagine that there are internal codes not seen with a regular scan tool.

Troubleshooting guide says if there's no 3rd or 4th, it could be a damaged seal, faulty electrical connection (wet from car wash?) or sediment on valves affecting 2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve.

Boatguy272

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure these transmissions have the same setup or not, but there is a module on the side on my pickup ( Allison ) that failed and it did the exact same thing. Stuck in second. It would do it on big bumps, or if it got wet until I finally changed it. All I had to do was unplug it, and plug it back in to get going again. Good luck !

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping for the best, keep us updated. I have had my share of 4l60 problems but I do have a blower. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
U

UmmScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans is internally done. Burnt up 3 and 4 clutchpacks.
Pretty common issue actually.

Due to circumstances/time constraints, I am having them replace the transmission with a rebuilt one with the following conditions...
1: they will replace the rear main engine seal since i know its leaking
2: there is a tune in the PCM, they will not alter the tune or upgrade firmware in anyway. I will address that at a later date.
3. They will replace the seals that go into the transfer case.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans is internally done. Burnt up 3 and 4 clutchpacks.
Pretty common issue actually.

Due to circumstances/time constraints, I am having them replace the transmission with a rebuilt one with the following conditions...
1: they will replace the rear main engine seal since i know its leaking
2: there is a tune in the PCM, they will not alter the tune or upgrade firmware in anyway. I will address that at a later date.
3. They will replace the seals that go into the transfer case.

Good time to install a Corvette servo for a firmer 1-2 shift. It actually is easier on the trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts