Rusty Fuel Line and Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the odds that i will be successful in removing and replacing my filter without destrying the lines? See picture. I've been soaking it in PB blaster a few nights in a row to prep.

Attachments

• 20220916_110336.jpg
    20220916_110336.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 10

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep soaking it I believe one side has snap release other side two wrenches and try to tighten first then see if it will come apart is where line goes into compression nut line will probably twist line and break just have plan to make something up for repair for new filter. Good luck with repair.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy Smokes! You win the internet for today. The only one Ive ever seen worse than that was a VW Jetta in central IL that all the brake and fuel lines just fell apart when they were bumped during a transmission Remove, rebuild, reinstall.

For the love of god....DONT TRY TO HEAT IT UP WITH A TORCH!!!!!!! Liquid Wrench is your friend....and it will take atleast 2 cans and 2 weeks of soaking every day at that!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Holy Smokes! You win the internet for today. The only one Ive ever seen worse than that was a VW Jetta in central IL that all the brake and fuel lines just fell apart when they were bumped during a transmission Remove, rebuild, reinstall.

For the love of god....DONT TRY TO HEAT IT UP WITH A TORCH!!!!!!! Liquid Wrench is your friend....and it will take atleast 2 cans and 2 weeks of soaking every day at that!
IMO, it would be a waste of $ for the cans and a waste of time.....All new lines and filter and hoses while you are at it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed.......I'd keep soaking it and make sure you ha e GOOD line wrenches when trying to loosen it. I think it's 20mm and 3/4" if I remember correctly....been about 10 years since I did one on the frame Iike that.

From experience, just take it slow and steady.....back and forth to try and break it free. It may come loose, I've seen worse. Patience my friend.

If that ails and you don't have a fuel delivery issue or drivability issue I'd just leave it and plan on sending unit replacement if/when the time comes to absolutely replace it.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck runs fine you may just want to let it stay that way until it dies...
It may come off after soaking. It may not.

At this point, it has gone so far down the road to corrosion-ville, you may want to have new fuel lines ready to go when the can of worms is opened.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd be less worried about the fuel filter and more concerned about the rest of vehicle condition, mounts, brackets, brake lines!
looks like a death trap to me

OP
OP
Merc1973

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've had this truck for 5 years or so. I can't believe ive never replaced it. Esp at 312k miles now. It runs great, just noticed a slight delay on cold starting recently. I have the PO's records and the pump has been replaced at one point years ago. For the naysayers, the brake lines were replaced a couple years before i purchased it.

I suppose I'll plan on a fall project of dropping the tank, and running new lines and pump while its open.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've had this truck for 5 years or so. I can't believe ive never replaced it. Esp at 312k miles now. It runs great, just noticed a slight delay on cold starting recently. I have the PO's records and the pump has been replaced at one point years ago. For the naysayers, the brake lines were replaced a couple years before i purchased it.

I suppose I'll plan on a fall project of dropping the tank, and running new lines and pump while its open.
That settles it, they use some sort of "Super Salt" up in Maryland. At one point the pump was replaced? What point was that and was the filter done at the same time?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19

Latest posts