Rust Repair Cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to fix this rust, it looks awful... Not sure if its from the rear HVAC evaporator or just winter salt. About how much do you think it would cost to grind it out, weld in a patch and repaint this lower part of the rear quarter panel? Surprisingly this is the only rust on the body. The frame on the other hand is crusty.

i5XHMDLl.jpg

Z0LVtCRl.jpg

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have to fix this rust, it looks awful... Not sure if its from the rear HVAC evaporator or just winter salt. About how much do you think it would cost to grind it out, weld in a patch and repaint this lower part of the rear quarter panel? Surprisingly this is the only rust on the body. The frame on the other hand is crusty.

i5XHMDLl.jpg

Z0LVtCRl.jpg
I got into fixing the rust on mine today. I’m going the redneck Bondo/window screen route lol.im gonna put metal over the gigantic holes though like you said. I don’t know why, but mine has rusted terrible. It’s gonna cost me about 60$-70$ to fix it myself. But I’m not gonna get mine professionally repainted. I can tell someone has tried to fix it before, by all the mesh and Bondo that’s already there and falling apart lol. Just make sure you fix it or eventually it will look like mine :(

B5115113-DA5E-4B21-AD85-F23E39528321.jpeg B314BC51-DBE6-4994-8194-0F3A9309AD5F.jpeg

TheGreatGazoo

Reaction score

i5XHMDLl.jpg

Z0LVtCRl.jpg
If you’re walking into my shop and looking for an estimate I’d do my best to convince you to live with the rust. I know, you hate seeing it, but you’ll hate the cost of fixing it (the right way) even more. I’d likely charge you $800-$1000 plus the cost of the patch panel. If you need fabrication work on the inner 1/4 or the wheel house then the cost goes up.

If I were you, I’d just leave it. You could try to clean the panel up as best as possible and put some 8115 in the damage area (then filler, prime and paint) but it will come back eventually...

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
The problem with rust is it’s like cancer. You can bondo it, but chances are it’s already starting to spread out and may start dusting again down the road

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dealing with the same problems. I'm very close to Rhino lining the lower part of my rockers/doors.

Snowkan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I sprayed my old Blazer with a Line-X style product. I'm contemplating doing the same with my new to me '02..has some holes in the inner wheel well I need fixed for certification!

22141257_10212604564343114_6645378213455187110_n.jpg

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks nice! Not sure it will go well on my ride but I may end up there someday because I have some rust starting in on the rocker panels.

I see you made a mess on your floor. Did the undersize cardboard box come in after you realized you were making a mess?

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks nice! Not sure it will go well on my ride but I may end up there someday because I have some rust starting in on the rocker panels.

I see you made a mess on your floor. Did the undersize cardboard box come in after you realized you were making a mess?

The first coat started off ok, but by the time I was done with the entire truck, half of the liner had dripped off. At that point I just said screw it I'll clean it up later. I don't know if it wasn't drying fast enough or what, but the second, third, and fourth coats had almost no mess.

IMG_20180729_095512_8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17