Rooftop cargo box bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s definitely not over limit. When I push on the box while the vehicle is stationary, the box wobbles like a spring board. It is firmly attached to the rails but the rails appear to have a TON of flex in them. The guy at the store had rails that didn’t budge at all.
One side of the box needs to be as close as you can get it to the side rails. That will reduce the flex about as much as it can go. I've offered you all of the guidance I can for the factory bars. Sounds like you’ll be happier with aftermarket bars. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. I’ll give those tips a try and see if it helps. Much appreciated!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what’s it worth, we have a Thule Evolution XL and have had this issue. I had the rear bar as far back as possible and tried to balance the load as much as possible but still had a tapping on the roof on our first and only trip with it. Had it on our 2008 XL Denali. My resolution was to again readjust the contents best I could and then I ended up buying some micro fiber towels and some gorilla tape at a Flying J and made a pad on the bottom at the rear of the carrier and that took care of the tapping sound. Haven’t had to use the carrier since so haven’t looked for a more permanent solution.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I’d follow up with the solution. I couldn’t get the box to stop bouncing. In fact it was near hazardous going freeway speeds with the factory bars. Picked up the Yakima Slyline bars and now the box is rock solid even at freeway speeds.