Roof top tent for 1996 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spikeman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with roof top tents? Does the OME roof rack work well or is aftermarket rack work better? I'm looking at Tepui roof top tents for my 96 2 door Yukon. Thanks!

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking at this, I seem to recall that the tents cannot be placed directly onto the OEM luggage rack, even if you have the crossbars, which I have. It has been a while but I believe my solution was to weld up a customer roof rack and drop the tent on top of that. If you add an aftermarket rack on top of the luggage rack, then add the tent, it gets really tall, cant fit into garages and is really top heavy, which means tippy. I still havent pulled the trigger on building or a custom rack. Part of that is my reluctance to dive into the issues that usually come with the process...the poor mounting system, potential for frozen or broken bolts/nuts, water leakage and the other challenges that I appear on this forum when pulling off the OEM rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne