Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the body shop today to check on progress. The hood has all body work done and is primed and the roof rack was sanded and in the process of being primed so I didn't get to see it but he assured me it was going to work; he said they just started with 80 grit and sanded the shit out of it. He said don't worry. But since it's going to be around 100 degrees here for the rest of the week and he's running out of time, we'll have to wait until early next week to drop the truck off and finish; he needs it for 2 days so I'm hoping it will be Tues-Wed and be done Wed night.

View attachment 65915

View attachment 65916
I know right where that's at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today UPS delivered a 2005 Yukon Denali wood grain dash bezel I bought off Ebay. This will be the second one I've bought; the first one I bought when I did my DD mod for my stereo had 2 cracks through the wood grain part at the top and every time I pulled it, the cracks got worse. The rest of my interior is almost flawless and those cracks bothered me. I got this one for $117 shipped; all the others I've seen when they became available were around $200. Now I have to strip the painted part like I did on the other dash and console parts and spray with Dupli-Color Dark Shadow Gray. Yesterday I repainted my DDU lower grill insert in gloss black and a few coats of clear. I also painted the black parts of my Esky roof rack so it will be ready for installation when I get the rest from the painter.

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5463.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stripped the old paint off with Denatured alcohol and a fine Scotchbrite quick and easy. That makes the old paint literally dissolve while not affecting the wood grain. Painted and ready to install. I think it came out good.

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taping must've been a pita! But looks great.
Actually not bad, I just taped over the lines then, pushed it down into the groove a bit, and used a single edge razor blade following the edge at the bottom of the groove. Total time to strip and paint was 1 1/2 hours.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit neurotic like that. One crack was literally right in front of my face though and if there's something obvious that I see constantly, I can't leave it. Pretty much my entire truck looks like new, especially the interior, with the exception of what I'm having painted next week. And the headliner. I will redo the headliner someday...anyway here's some shots of the cracks and how the new one looks installed. It makes me feel better to have that taken care of.

IMG_5493.JPG

IMG_5494.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5490.JPG

IMG_5492.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I didn't want to say anything for the last week for fear I would jinx it, but it looks like I finally fixed the problem that has been a constant annoyance for months. My engine had been "stumbling" for lack of a better word. Especially at stop lights, and it seemed to be worse the hotter the weather. It would literally almost die at random times, in fact it did die twice. It was startling sometimes. No codes. It was almost like the ignition was shut off for a split second. I tried a few things, and then thought maybe Black Bear might be able to read some logged data and analyze what was going on, so I emailed them. They said they would do that, all I needed to do was hook up my Autocal and log some data and email it to them. I was looking through my emails to them, and saw where they were reading my previously logged runs and my MAF was " all over the place" as they said. So I thought maybe... the MAF sensor could be the culprit? I bought a new one and so far it's been a week and not one single miss or stumble. I think that was it. Fingers crossed still.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I removed the Denali roof rack and listed it on Ebay. Then I had to remove the marks on the roof where the old rack was because the Esky rack has a narrower footprint. I used Meguire's Fine-Cut Cleaner with a buffing pad and it's almost perfect.

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5495.JPG

IMG_5496.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512

Latest posts